FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions on DAM/MAM software options

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Richardson
Suggestions on DAM/MAM software options
on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:51:58 pm

I've been brought in to help a production/post-prod house finally get up and going with shared network storage for editing/post-prod
They have 6 fulltime editors/post people working on new Mac pro IIs, and up to 10 others working on a mix of Mac Pros and iMacs
I've been able to get some competitive quotes on NAS, SAN, and hybrid 10GbE networks
The next problem is their 500TB of HD/2K/4K/6K footage. I need some suggestions on good DAM/MAM software
So far, I've been pointed towards CatDV and Axle Video.

Are there any others I should be considering?
We probably need to keep it below $500 per user license
Maybe up to $1k if they are only going to have 1-2 people doing all the metadata work

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Suggestions on DAM/MAM software options
on Aug 8, 2015 at 8:51:50 pm

You really should be conferring with the same vendor from whom you're purchasing your SAN or NAS, as some DAM/MAM solutions play better with certain systems. For example, AXEL has to operate on a Mac server of some sort (often a Mac Mini), and you really don't want to hang a Mac server on the back of some SAN/NAS systems.

Also, some systems, such as SNS, have built-in software MAM that may not be as feature rich as dedicated software such Catdv, but which will suffice for many small companies.

In addition, you really don't want to setup MAM/DAM for just one or two users in your office, that typically ends up being a mistake.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Victor Richardson
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:16:21 am

Thank you for the advice, I truly appreciate it
If the client chooses to go with SNS, then they will likely with SNS' Sharebrowser

Axle sounds pretty good, especially since they are a Mac-only shop.

Return to posts index

Atheel Hayawi
on Oct 28, 2015 at 9:17:08 am

Dear David,

Lovely explanation, im also working with a client that has a large media production firm and wants to upgrade with 400TB and looking for similar solution to what you have suggested and wants to go all Fiber 10GB and thunder connection, he has mixed mac and windows OS he is having problems now with bandwidth and retrieval speed, I would appreciate it if you could give me more information. whats your best suggestions to go for full system SNS or go for CatDV and is it better to go for NAS or SAN

Regards
Atheel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]