FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get rid of .DS invisible files prior to backup in LTO?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrique Londaits
How to get rid of .DS invisible files prior to backup in LTO?
on Aug 3, 2015 at 10:54:14 pm

Hi all. I kept getting error messages while trying to backup from MAC disks to LTFS, like "cannot copy some files", etc.
I enabled View system files in the Finder, and inside the offending folders sat .DS files.
I did a test copying the folder contents *not including* the infamous .DS files, and everything was OK.
Is there a way to get rid of them beforehand? (short of finding and deleting manually)
TIA and regards.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: How to get rid of .DS invisible files prior to backup in LTO?
on Aug 3, 2015 at 11:29:28 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:53:29 am

In the terminal, 'cd' into the folder you're copying to tape and execute this command:

sudo find . -name ".DS_Store" -delete

Be aware that any time that you open a folder on the Mac, if a .DS_Store file doesn't exist, Finder will create it.

BTW - you don't harm anything deleting these files unless you're very specific about your Finder window layouts. These files don't otherwise affect your files.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:06:42 am

Thanks for the reply, Tim. Excuse my newbiness in command-line things, but what does it mean 'cd' (into the folder...etc?) How do I do it?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:54:32 am

The "cd" command stands for "Change Directory". It's the Terminal equivalent to opening a Finder window in a specific folder.

To take what I typed above further, if the folder you were copying onto the tape was /Volumes/Array1/Project23, you would type:

cd /Volumes/Array1/Project23
sudo find . -name ".DS_Store" -delete

You may then drag and drop the folder "Project23" onto the tape (do NOT open it, or you'll get a new .DS_Store file :) ).

Also, note that the password that is asked for is your user's password on the system.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
on Aug 5, 2015 at 1:41:16 pm

Hi Tim. I still have trouble copying certain folders even though the .DS_Store files are gone. I went again to BRU PE literature, as I had downloaded and installed the Trial version, but I never really used it. Now I'm considering ignoring the LTFS desktop backup route for my client's projects and getting a solution that would give me less grief. Could I contact you privately by mail? Best to you.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Aug 5, 2015 at 6:55:34 pm

You may absolutely contact me directly. I understand your frustration and we witness it with customers every day. I even outlined these types of issues in a blog post a while back:

Excerpt from What's the big deal with how an LTO (or other) tape is written?

Additionally, symbolic links (referenced files or aliases in OS X) are not supported, nor are special characters such as the bullet (OPT-8) that Mac users often use when naming files. From the current LTFS documentation:

File permissions
The LTFS application manages a common set of file permissions for all files and users; file and directory ownership is not recorded to tape. The only permission that is tracked is write-protect information. Files or directories that are write-protected have their permission bits set to 555; write-enabled files and directories have their permission set to 777. By default the user and group information is set to that of the current user; this can be overridden by use of the -o uid and -o gid options to the LTFS application.

File types
The LTFS application does not support the creation of symbolic links or hard links within the tape file system. Attempting to create a link or copy a link to tape will result in a “Function not implemented” error. If using the cp command to copy to tape, the ‘-L’ option may be helpful to follow symlinks.

The LTFS application also does not support creation of special files and will report “Function not implemented”.

File names
To maintain compatibility when copying files between multiple platforms, it is strongly recommended that the following characters should not be used in LTFS for file names, directory names, or extended attributes:* ? < > : " | / \

Note that the documentation entry for filenames doesn't mention to not use non US-ASCII filenames, but that is what it actually boils down to. If you use non US-ASCII (UTF-16, special characters, or reserved characters), your copy operation will fail. However, properly handled by the archive container format, all of these characters can be dealt with on all three supported systems.

Other formats like TAR, P5-native, and BRU all deal with these because they are not really issues, but rather another weakness in the design of the lowest level LTFS specification.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:04:12 pm

Hi Enrique,

What LTFS utility are you using that is giving you such grief?

There are many LTFS solutions that do not have problems copying hidden Mac files (including .DS_Store files) to LTFS volumes. When you start to look for alternate solutions, I recommend you consider one of the third party applications that overcome limitations of the open source free LTFS applications you can download from the tape drive manufacturers. PreRollPost and YoYotta are Mac based applications that probably address this issue and I can assure you that Cache-A appliances will not choke on such files.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:17:31 pm

Hi, Tom. I'm using the open-source Tandberg LTFS utilities to mount the LTFS volume on the desktop, and then drag-and-drop from a hard drive. I'll evaluate the third-party options, for sure. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Aug 5, 2015 at 10:51:02 pm

All of the tape drive manufacturer LTFS solutions, regardless of vendor, are based upon the original code created by IBM in 2009 when they first promoted the standard and as updated over the intervening years. HP, Quantum and Tanberg all have issued their own versions of freeware or bundleware with their own products, but it all appears to present challenges when used in the real world by real users.

Almost all 3rd Parties who have implemented LTFS have built upon this same code base but have addressed most of the pitfalls users have encountered with the baseline LTFS code. And, of course, those third parties rightly want to charge for their efforts and for providing support, so with LTFS, you get what you pay for.

The benefit of LTFS in my opinion is interchange. Any LTFS tape made on this code base (and some not from this code base - SGL for one) can be read and added to by any other (we did not test all of them, but never had a failure exchanging valid LTFS volumes).

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]