FORUMS: list search recent posts

cache-A file write to tape sizes 5X larger than originals

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Nordquist
cache-A file write to tape sizes 5X larger than originals
on Jul 11, 2015 at 9:44:20 pm

Any idea why my cache-a is increasing the file size 5x once the VTAPE data is written to tape? The transfer summary is showing that it's writing the files multiple times for some inexplicable reason. Although only one set of the files shows up in tape directory. See attached photo. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

PrimeCache 5 running 2.1.17 software. (Just updated to 2.1.17 if that has any bearing).

BTW - I tried the ProMAX tech support but they are ridiculous. They want an extended service contract to even talk about any form of support (even a software update).

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: cache-A file write to tape sizes 5X larger than originals
on Jul 12, 2015 at 2:05:08 pm

Nick,

You must have somehow put more into the transfer than you intended. There are 76 files in the transfer summary but only 5 files in the folder you indicate. That could create maybe 10 or 15 with the hidden apple files, but not over 70 - scroll up and see what else you put in there - the summary says you moved 136GB.

Your Tape Information shows a negative space lost which indicates that the files compressed a bit and that your drive is probably working well.

V2.1.17 was a good release although is missing a bunch of newer features like proper LTFS. I could possibly arrange for a software update for you if you wanted to take the chance and do it yourself.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

Nick Nordquist
on Jul 12, 2015 at 4:09:09 pm

Thanks Tom. I thought that exact same thing so I completely broomed the VTAPE so there were no other files in the transfer and got the same bad result regardless of what files I used as the source. And looking back through the transfer logs I can see that what it's doing is actually transferring the same files over and over again. The 136G on the tape is those same 5 files transferring over and over again. I ran multiple tests yesterday with different files and got the same "5x loop"result every time.

After doing 5 duplicates of the VTAPE it does seem to stop the loop but if I add another file to the VTAPE, it transfers that one file and then starts the endless loop on all the files on the VTAPE again. The only way I could get it to just transfer once is to bypass the VTAPE, mount a network drive directly in the source window and then transfer from there. The problem with that path is that it's excruciatingly slow.

The problem started in v2.0.22 and I was hoping the jump to 2.1.17 I did would do the trick but no dice. Not sure how the cache-a handles indexing the files & tapes etc but I'd be totally game to do a complete factory reset if I could figure out how. I don't really need any logs of what I've previously archived (that data is stored in my catDV system). I'm also totally game to try and update to v3 if that'd fix the problem. Right now the cache-a is only good as a door stop.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Jul 13, 2015 at 2:45:57 pm

OK Nick, I'll get you updated to a newer version - 2.1.17 was from 2012 - direct mounts should be way faster than going through the VTAPE.

Let's take this off forum - please send an email to my address below.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]