FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating backup solution for database. Advice please.

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wilson
Creating backup solution for database. Advice please.
on Jun 1, 2015 at 4:26:20 am

How to create a backup system for my database? It has billions of records and consists of Tera bytes of data. I am looking for a solution that can setup along with the server. I also heard about http://www.storagepipe.com which offer online data backup and recovery services. But I think such services will cost thousands of dollars per month. Do anyone here have any experience on this. Please share your advice.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Creating backup solution for database. Advice please.
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:09:30 am

The most secure and the lowest cost is LTO tape backup/archive. LTO 6, the latest version, holds 2.5Tb per tape.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 1, 2015 at 4:53:56 pm

When you say database, do you mean an actual database like Filemaker, MySQL, or Oracle, or do you mean a collection of files that you manage? There are different approaches depending on what you're actually working with.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 1, 2015 at 5:47:27 pm

Tim,

One of the coolest things I ever learned about LTO, which I'm sure you know and appreciate, is that they are perfect for storing databases such as those generated by a DAM or MAM. So, not only do you archive the media to LTO, but the underlying metadata and the database in which in which it's stored, all of which is good to go for 20 to 30 years (hopefully).

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:17:11 pm

Very true, but sometimes there are Database "things" that need to be done to make sure that the data tables are handled properly - table transaction locking, user locking, journal log generation, etc.. This is especially true for multiuser databases where the table could be open and modified while being backed up. Most databases have SQL commands to enable backups, that's why I asked for clarification.

The issue is that without taking care of these things before you backup the database, you could end up with an unstable environment on restore.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:33:12 pm

Gotcha Tim! Frankly, though I've sold these solutions a zillion times, I was not implementing them myself.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]