FORUMS: list search recent posts

Warning: Issues with Seagate USB3 Mini Drives and the 2014 MAC PRO 8 Core with OS 10.9.5

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Paris
Warning: Issues with Seagate USB3 Mini Drives and the 2014 MAC PRO 8 Core with OS 10.9.5
on May 30, 2015 at 1:59:16 am

I wanted to pass something along that I've discovered.... I've been using the inexpensive Costco Seagate 1TB drives to send clients footage and backing up on my own drives (Gtech Mini Drives) as a backup for the client. I usually use my Mac Book Pro for this, but the other day I had to upload the client backup to my MACPRO (8core) via my Thunderbolt 2 Promise Raid. All was good until I decided to transfer the files back to one of the Seagate Drives from Costco. I formatted the drive as a Mac OS Extended via Disk Utility, but the files would not transfer. I received the Error -50 message and the transfer would not work. I even tried a very small PDF file with no luck. Reformatted several times.... changes cables....no luck. As a test I hooked up one of my GTECH Mini drives and all the files transferred with no problem. Not sure what's going on here, but thought I would pass it on in case someone else is planning to use these drives to output media from the new MACPRO.

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Warning: Issues with Seagate USB3 Mini Drives and the 2014 MAC PRO 8 Core with OS 10.9.5
on May 31, 2015 at 11:28:07 pm

Bill, double check your settings when you partition the drive. I use a number of these with no ill affects. My drives are formatted as ExFAT, though for cross platform compatibility. The only change I make when I repartition them is to set the "Options" for the partition table type to GUID.

HTH,

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]