FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software for hard drive archiving/backup

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Software for hard drive archiving/backup
on Apr 27, 2015 at 1:41:30 pm

I know this is an LTO-centric forum, but I have a hard drive question:

I would like to find Mac software to automate the processes of archiving and backup to hard drives. Ideally, the software could handle incremental backups to three different sets of hard drives, the occasional full backup of completed projects, and outstanding data indexing and search capabilities. In addition, the software should be able to check the hard drives (both during the process and after, to make sure the hard drives themselves are still functional).

If anyone who uses hard drives has a recommendation for software, I'd be very appreciative of hearing your experience.

I am not looking for a debate on LTO vs. hard drives. If I cared about long-term (20 year) storage I'd go with LTO. And I used to use an LTO drive, but when it failed I realized that LTO has the same problem as hard drives; it is mechanical. When that happened, I was lucky that I had also created backups on hard drives. While I can (barely) afford ONE new LTO-6, I certainly can't buy two. So for now, my solution is to create multiple sets of hard drives, as Walter Biscardi suggests in his article "The Production Process EXTRA: Archiving Data."

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Software for hard drive archiving/backup
on Apr 27, 2015 at 3:10:40 pm

The cheapest method is the OS X / Unix native rsync (man rsync) - but it is command line and you'll need to learn the syntax and how to manage it. Next up the cost tree is "ChronoSyncX" - still not expensive, but it adds a GUI wrapper to rsync.

From there, you start heading into software packages that can rival the price of a new LTO drive :).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:28:35 pm

Call me Bob...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:43:24 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Call me Bob..."

Hi, Bob!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:45:29 pm

You beat me to it :)!

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 27, 2015 at 4:58:35 pm

Bob, call me.

If you're nice I'll give you helpful information - keep up the sarcasm and I'll make sure to confuse the hell out you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Apr 28, 2015 at 3:29:12 pm

We always liked the old stalwart disc copying utility Carbon Copy Cloner which has been around for years, costs about $40 and is both reliable and easy to use.

Many of my old customers also had good luck with Delta Walker which also costs just $40 and can give you a detailed comparison between two directories or volumes.

Tom Goldberg
TGCS
30201 Rainbow Hill Rd.
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tomgoldberg@gmail.com
http://tomgoldberg.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]