FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software advice for LTO6 LTFS

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis Holleran
Software advice for LTO6 LTFS
on Mar 3, 2015 at 6:57:05 pm

Hi,

We're looking to upgrade our current LTO workflow.

We need a software solution that will allow us to provide LTFS LTO6 tapes of raw rushes to our clients with the highest degree of compatibility possible - so they don't need to use the same program as us, to allow them to drag and drop if necessary.

We are open to PC or Mac products.

Now I see there are software solutions which say they are capable of this, I am looking for some advice based on experience.

Cheers,

Lewis Holleran,
Technical Operations Manager
Edit123

Return to posts index

Joe Valenti
Re: Software advice for LTO6 LTFS
on Mar 3, 2015 at 7:29:26 pm

Hello Lewis,

I think StorageDNA has your solution but I'm not 100% sure. My rep at http://www.vtgny.com gave me a demo of StorageDNA a fews ago and I was impressed..

Joe Valenti
Clippn
http://www.clippn.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 3, 2015 at 7:45:20 pm

It's sounds like you don't have a concern for archival and are just looking to use your LTO media like larger floppy disks, so what's wrong with the default LTFS tools provided by your tape drive vendor? All of the file copies are handled at the OSXFuSE level and can be managed vi drag and drop from File Explorer or Finder. That's all that you or your client require for this type of data exchange. If you end up with a bad tape, you just recut to from the original data.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Lewis Holleran
on Mar 3, 2015 at 7:53:33 pm

I'm currently just looking at DNA evolution, a lot of interesting features there - probably over featured for what we were looking for but could open some doors.

Tim, we would prefer to use a method which checks the data during transfer rather than the explorer/finder based drag and drop. We wouldn't be keeping the original data for long, we don't want to risk missing data on the tapes. It's unlikely and unviable that clients will check the tapes before we delete the data.
Often our clients request that we back up to drive - I see a few of the solutions offer simultaneous/automated drive and tape back up.
Personally I'm also interested in what features these products have which could open up possibilities to improve our workflows and take the strain off our servers.

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
on Mar 4, 2015 at 9:26:39 am

Hi Lewis,

I would recommend using LTFS software rather than the Finder.
I'm biased because I develop YoYottaID LTFS, but you need it for these reasons...
Checksum verification of transfer.
Creation of two or more copies in parallel.
Both of the above are essential if you are about to delete the original files!
Translation of characters in file names and paths than aren't valid in LTFS.
Spreadsheet, PDF and email reports confirming the backup.

Then there are many other things like queuing different jobs to tape, spanning large archives over multiple tapes, parsing of clip timecode, resolution and codec and storing this in a searchable database log.

The tapes created will still be readable on any system. Windows, Mac or Linux, with or without extra software.
Please get in touch if you have any other questions.

Best,

Martin Greenwood
CTO, YoYotta
martin@yoyotta.com

Return to posts index

Lewis Holleran
on Mar 4, 2015 at 4:45:02 pm

Hi Martin,

I've been impressed by what I've seen from YoYotta - do you know if there are plans to produce a windows version?

Cheers
L

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
on Mar 4, 2015 at 5:08:50 pm

Thanks Lewis. We're focused on the Mac, so we won't be developing a Windows version. You could run YoYottaID LTFS on a mid range MacMini, this would give you a low cost ingest / backup system with dual Thunderbolt and four USB3 ports. Allowing easy connection of client/shuttle drives and sharing into NAS/SAN.
As mentioned the LTFS tapes created are cross platform. Compare this with hard drives where you can have HFS+, NTFS and EXT formats each of which may or may not be compatible with customers operating system.
Here you can see a summary of the pros/cons of each Apple Mac model for different purposes.

http://yoyotta.com/yoyotta/hardware.html

More of our customers are using LTFS for backup, deliverables and project interchange with their customers.

Martin

Return to posts index

Bleakley McDowell
on Jul 11, 2016 at 7:35:17 pm

The open source scripts on the AMIA github page work very well for us.

https://github.com/amiaopensource/ltopers

Bleakley

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]