FORUMS: list search recent posts

BRU Archive size not making sense

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chance Chancellor
BRU Archive size not making sense
on Feb 8, 2015 at 7:04:26 pm

Disclaimer: This is only my second day with BRU or LTO.

I am currently in the middle of what I expected to be a 18TB archive, however, BRU has stopped after four LTO-6 Tapes and is verifying the tapes. I expected this archive to take ~8 tapes. (Files are video so I was expecting Zero Compression)

My Setup:
OSX 10.9.5, Macbook Air
MLogic Thunderbolt LTO 6 Drive
Lacie 18 TB External USB 3.0 Hard drive (Pretty much full)
Latest BRU demo from website

Folders were dragged and dropped to the quick archive leading to a 23 segment split archive.

My two issues.
1.BRU GUI does not update during writing process (But does during the verification process). I tested with a small archive to make sure data was there and it was so I have proceeded with archiving and just set a stopwatch to change tapes. I don't get any feedback about the progress of an archive until verification starts, but verification succeeds. The GUI is hard frozen and will not let me click on the apple signal or anything along the top bar unless I click out of BRU then everything is fine (except the BRU GUI itself)

2.WIth the ~18TB archive BRU is saying on the verification status that it is only 9.47TB. (Which accounts for it only using 4 tapes.)

Does BRU have a way for me to compare the tapes (I'm assuming after this verification pass) back to the drive again so I can see what was left out?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: BRU Archive size not making sense
on Feb 8, 2015 at 11:26:26 pm

What do you get if you click the "How Many Tapes" button above the "Start Archive" button?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Chance Chancellor
on Feb 8, 2015 at 11:32:32 pm

When I did this the GUI was displayed weird and would not display total Data size or tapes. Likely related to the first problem of my previous post. (I'm in the verify of my second tape right now or I would post a screenshot).

This may address my problem:
Does BRU go ------>Write Segment 1------->Verify Segment 1------->Write Segment 2------>Verify Segment 2----->ETC.
or
Does it write all segments then verify all segments.

It could be that my first segment is just 9TB (That math roughly adds up when I check the finder file size against the finder file size) and as I move on to additional segments that will account for my next "missing" 9TB.

Return to posts index

Chance Chancellor
on Feb 9, 2015 at 3:22:57 pm

When I did this the GUI was displayed weird and would not display total Data size or tapes. Likely related to the first problem of my previous post. (I'm in the verify of my second tape right now or I would post a screenshot).

This may address my problem:
Does BRU go ------>Write Segment 1------->Verify Segment 1------->Write Segment 2------>Verify Segment 2----->ETC.
or
Does it write all segments then verify all segments.

It could be that my first segment is just 9TB (That math roughly adds up when I check the finder file size against

Edit:

Here is a screenshot of the GUI issues I was referring to. The status bar is still animated, but does not reflect actual progress.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Feb 9, 2015 at 5:24:01 pm

That is definitely not right. Please make sure that you are running 3.1.10 (152) and open a support ticket at support.bru.com.

As for the verify, we complete the backup portion and then execute the verify pass on the completed archive. This way, you can abort the verify and re-run it later without affecting the entire backup operation.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]