FORUMS: list search recent posts

IBM Half High Lto Gen 5 in Mac OS?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrique Londaits
IBM Half High Lto Gen 5 in Mac OS?
on Jan 30, 2015 at 12:07:06 pm

Hi. Would this drive, the IBM Half Height LTO Gen 5 be compatible with a Mac Pro dual 2.66 (2009) if I add an Atto SAS card?
Info about it is scarce... Thanks for any pointers.

Enrique Londaits
Soluciones DVD
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: IBM Half High Lto Gen 5 in Mac OS?
on Feb 2, 2015 at 1:07:19 pm

If you mean this one,
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/options/storage/tape/ltogen5/

Then the external SAS version will work with an Atto H680 SAS card inside your MacPro. Make sure the software you plan to use will work with the OS that this MacPro can run.
Older MacPros often can't be upgraded past Lion or Mountain Lion.

If you're planning to use the free HP or IBM LTFS software, forget it. Doesn't work reliably. You need to get either Bru-PE or PreRollPost. Both have trial versions.

Also, consider getting an LTO-6 drive instead of LTO-5.

And BTW, the internal version of this or any other LTO drive won't work in a MacPro.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
on Feb 2, 2015 at 1:11:13 pm

Thanks for your reply, Neil. I'll keep in mind all this, and get an LTO 6 instead of the 5. BTW, I'm in Snow Leopard on this machine.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Feb 4, 2015 at 1:17:17 am

As Neil states - there's no where to put the Internal drive in a Mac Pro (regardless of model) as it won't work without hacking the physical Mac case.

You would need an external chassis to hold the drive and they aren't easy to come by.

I did find this unit that would get you where you need to be:

PTI SAS Enclosures Tape Drive 5.25 full-height open front

However, having said that, the IBM drive - when properly housed - will work fine with a Mac Pro and ATTO H680 HBA with BRU PE, BRU Server, PreRoll Post, or any other tape-aware OS X backup package.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 4, 2015 at 2:05:10 pm

Hi Enrique -
because you are running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, I am going to assume that you are on a budget. You may find that when you look at these software packages, you may feel that they are charging a lot of money, and you may ask "isn't there anything for free out there that I can use". There is - it's called HP StorOpen, and it's a free download. However - IT IS COMPLETE GARBAGE, it won't work for you, and you will be wasting your time. Buy the correct software that has been recommended to you in this post, and you will have no issues. You can do a free trial download to try them out, but DO NOT use the free software, as it is a waste of your time, and will only cause you aggravation.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
on Feb 4, 2015 at 6:00:37 pm

Neil, Tim and Bob, a million thanks for all the advice, which I find extremely useful
and sensible.
The Argentina Cinema Institute is requiring that the producers deliver their films in LTO 5, no
compression, LTFS.
Do I still need additional software to do just that or will I be able to see the LTO mounted on the desktop
and then drag the intended folders/files there without further ado?
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Feb 4, 2015 at 6:46:49 pm

Hi Enrique,

Using the generic LTFS freebies will get you to where they are asking you to be. Just be aware that you need to use the LTFS version for your vendor's device (you can't use HP's LTFS for IBM). Also, if you opt for an LTO-6 drive instead of the LTO-5, you can still create the LTO-5 tapes that they are asking for.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
on Feb 4, 2015 at 6:54:06 pm

Thanks Tim. Yes, I'm planning to get an LTO 6 by HP. If other backup needs arise, I'll go with BRU PE.

Return to posts index

Kevin Francis
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:55:04 pm

Enrique, do as Bob suggests above. For LTFS use Imagine's PreRollPost rather than the free HP StoreOpen download. BRU and PreRollPost are well worth the money, we've used them both extensively.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Feb 6, 2015 at 3:51:15 am

Actually, (and I speak as an owner of both), if your LTFS requirement is occasional, then Bru-PE is the better choice. I use it as a general backup tool. And only when LTFS is needed use PreRoll Post. You can even do LTFS with Bru-PE and I use it that way too when my PRP system is busy.

By the way, Bru-PE has to be bought only for creating a tape backup/archive. Using Bru-PE for restore is free, so you can bundle a demo of Bru-PE (on a CD/pen drive) along with your tapes when handing them over to a client (who also have a Mac and an LTO drive) so that they don't have to return the tapes back when they need to restore them. They don't need to buy Bru-PE just to restore a tape.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Enrique Londaits
on Feb 6, 2015 at 4:38:10 pm

Hi all. I can't begin to thank you all enough again for all the advice given, as this is the place where I've gathered the best information about LTOs and backups, backed by pros with lots of experience and many miles travelled. I won't be hitting any walls with my head...
Have a nice weekend!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]