FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating an LTO-6 rental product

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Weiner
Creating an LTO-6 rental product
on Jan 11, 2015 at 3:57:04 pm

Quick Survey about renting an LTO-6 archive solution.

1) Would you rent a 16 slot 1 drive LTO-6 Autoloader (40TB native), a BRU-PE license, an OSX laptop with ethernet, and an thunderbolt 2 PCIe breakout box with an mini-sas card (for the LTO autoloader box) and the second slot for whatever card a client could add to connect to their server. (For my need, I am simply going to hook it up via ethernet 1000Mps and let it go but perhaps others need Fibre or Gig-e)

2) If you could back up your entire archive in a week with minimal use of your time, what would will be willing to pay for that service?

Who I am and why I am asking.

My name is Doug Weiner and own a stock footage archival company http://www.PeriscopeFilm.com. I have 70TB of storage on 3 ZFS zpools that I need to safely archive. In the past, I was doing this by buying duplicate drives, but as our storage needs have grown and will continue to do so, its no longer cost effective or safe. Since my archive hardly changes, I do not need to have an expensive LTO autoloader system (~$8000) just sitting around waiting for a restore. I am thinking I am not the only one in this situation - large LTO archive need, tiny staff, realizing I have no real safety net, and not want to tie up case in a piece of equipment that I hopefully will never need more than once in a year. I also want to avoid the error prone tedium situation of feeding tapes into a single LTO drive - for… I am guessing at least a week.

Thanks
Doug

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Creating an LTO-6 rental product
on Jan 12, 2015 at 8:31:59 pm

Doug,

Instead of buying expensive hardware and software yourself, and trying to rent it out, you should think about renting it yourself from a company already in that business. Atlas Digital, Runway, Moviola Digital, and others are in the rental biz, and they know what they're doing. If you make the purchase yourself, you will most likely rent it out once or twice a year at best, and if something goes awry for your customer, as in pilot error on their part, you'll be the person or company forced to deal with the aftermath.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Doug Weiner
Re: Creating an LTO-6 rental product
on Jan 13, 2015 at 2:38:12 pm

Sounds good to me if they rent an LTO solution. Searching the web, I didn't see this option pop up. But if its available, I am buying a BLU license and renting. I will check with them and report back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]