FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on LTO Drive for Mac Pro

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Hays
Advice on LTO Drive for Mac Pro
on Oct 23, 2011 at 11:03:53 pm

We are looking into getting LTO drives where I work and I was wondering if any of you could give some pointers or advice about using LTO with Mac Pro's in general and whatever else you feel is important. Thanks in advance!

Things are gettin' interesting...

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: Advice on LTO Drive for Mac Pro
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:24:07 am

Are you looking for a library solution or single drive unit? For single drive it's hard to beat Cache-A. For libraries there are many things to consider.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 1, 2011 at 2:23:39 am

No John, this is not what Andrew is looking for. He is looking for several things -
1) tell him EXACTLY what to buy, so he doesn't have to read 30 or 40 posts on this forum to get an idea of what is going on
2) tell him exact model numbers, so he doesn't have to type into
Google "LTO for Mac" or "LTO for OS X" - that takes too much time.
3) tell him exactly what software to use, and while you are at it, tell him the exact steps for using BRU, or Retrospect, but John - make it easy, because Andrew is a real busy guy
AND
4) it must cost under $2000 - no, make that $1500 - isn't there anything for $1500 he can get ? Does the Cache-A you talk about cost only $1500 ? And can you print the instructions on how to use it in your reply
5) and can someone help John decide on whether to use FCP, AVID or Adobe Premier ? And what drives should he buy ? What if they discontinue the MAC Pro - can he use this with a PC. Can you go over to his place to install this for him - he will buy you lunch. Andrew is a nice guy - your choice - Burger King or McDonnalds.

Bob Zelin
ps - Andrew doesn't go to the library very often.

Return to posts index

peter tours
on Feb 12, 2012 at 7:18:08 am

Hey Bob - I've Googled my fingers off only to find the LTO world is pretty muddy for guys like us.

What I have found is a hodgepodge of manufacturers and VARs and no one focused on the independent editor.

I personally have almost 20tb in hard drive archives - WD Sharespace and MyBook II , RAID 5 and 1 respectively.

I cannot find a single reseller who has a package, ready to install, for a single Mac Pro, LTO 4 or 5.

I want to sell my hard drives and move my data to tape, not necessarily in that order.

I value your opinion - do you have any suggestions for me?

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

TRI EA5 1974-1977
Convergence ECS1B 1977-1979
Sony BVE 500 1979 - 1984
Datatron Vanguard 1984 - 1993
GVG VPE141 1993 - 1998
Media 100 1995 - 2006
Final Cut Pro 2005 to infinity and beyond!

Return to posts index

Andrew Hays
on Sep 6, 2012 at 3:52:13 am

ho there Bob! No need to get nasty about it. I wasn't so much looking for what you suggested at the time. I was more looking for informed opinions based on experience. And I was looking for a single drive unit at the time I posted this thread, but we have moved away from the Mac Pro and are now using iMacs... I don't think the LTO route is going to happen for us sadly...

..and knowing is half the battle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]