FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automatic Online Backup Solutions (Newbie)

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Balch
Automatic Online Backup Solutions (Newbie)
on Nov 24, 2014 at 6:11:03 pm
Last Edited By Alan Balch on Nov 24, 2014 at 6:50:31 pm

Hi all~

My current "backup solution" needs some work and I'd like some ideas on how to make it more effective.

A little bit about what I shoot. I work for a hospital and I shoot a lot of training videos, internal news events and informational promos. Nothing too fancy. I'm the sole videographer here and learning a lot about backup as I go.

About my current backup solution.

It's VERY SIMPLE and VERY LOW TECH. I back up my hard drive once a week to an external hard drive that is stored at an off-site location.

This solution has been working okay, but let's say (heaven forbid) that my building burns down or is damaged, I don't have a continuous back up solution and that's what I'd like to get some information about. Is there a "best practice" for this sort of thing and what have other folks in my situation done that has been helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Alan Balch
• • • • • • •
Videographer/Carle Foundation Hosptial
alan.balch@carle.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Automatic Online Backup Solutions (Newbie)
on Nov 24, 2014 at 8:34:29 pm

I'll just plant this seed - even with a Hospital's broadband business connection, you need to think about transfer speeds versus your average file sizes. While online backup works for a home user's collection of photos and documents, media brings new meaning to the term slow motion.

For example, for many folks, having a 10Gbit pipe sounds like a lot, but it's really just around 1MByte per second. An average 720p video running 30 minutes will be in the neighborhood of 5GB (depending on compression, of course). That means that one video would take over 50 minutes to transfer to your offsite storage over the wire.

With that as a simple reference, examine your environment, output volume, and connection speeds. Does online backup still look attractive?

Of course, I'm a strong proponent of tape for long term storage, but at least another disk stored at your home or in a bank safe deposit box would probably be more reasonable than online - both in speeds of backup and restore.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:41:04 am

Actual media files in digital video are generally too large for any kind of cloud backup.

I think you need to have separate approaches for media files and project files. Avid projects, FCP 7 projects, Premiere projects, and audio files are generally small enough to be backed up to the cloud, and even Dropbox or Google Drive is sufficient for this even over ADSL bandwidth.

For media files, keep a mirror offsite which is a clone of your main media drive at the hospital. Depending on its size you can use a small shuttle drive (USB3/TBolt or FW800 depending on your system) to carry new files to the mirror on a daily basis.

For long term backup, there's currently nothing as robust as LTO tape.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Eric Perez
on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:31:13 am

I'll prefer Cloud backup solution for backing up my data. Because it gives me full protection and security to my data. However, previously i was using HDD drive for backup my data. And somehow HDD crashed or corrupted due to which i have lost my data fully. So to avoid these types of issues i am using CloudBacko Lite. Try this software for backup and restore. (http://www.cloudbacko.com/)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]