FORUMS: list search recent posts

PreRoll Post - very slow launch

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
PreRoll Post - very slow launch
on Nov 24, 2014 at 2:43:42 pm

Does anyone here have good experiences using Preroll Post (ver 2.4.1) to backup a huge number of files per tape? Specifically, ArriRaw, or maybe even OpenEXR or DPX.

I'm using Preroll Post to backup up footage shot on an Arri Alexa as ArriRaw .ari file sequences. I've backed up only three LTO-6 tapes so far, (about 2 TB each) and the database has gotten so large that Preroll Post takes many minutes to launch and sometimes doesn't launch at all and I have to force quit after waiting for as long as 15 minutes.

I have the video indexing and thumbnails options all off.

I'm assuming (from file mod date) that the database file is called PreRollCentralIndex.sqlite-wal in /Library/Application Support/ImagineProducts/PrerollPost. Mine is now 12.23 GB after just 3 LTO-6 tapes. And this project will eventually have about 60 tapes.

Sometimes, trashing the prefs works, sometimes it doesn't. It's looking to me like in its present form, Preroll Post is fine for backups where the number of files is small - like Red Epic or Sony F65 or even HDSLRs. But for Arri Alexa ArriRaw, where in a 2 TB backup its not unusual to have 250,000 files, Preroll Post is simply unusable.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: PreRoll Post - very slow launch
on Nov 24, 2014 at 3:32:31 pm

To add to the post above.
I now have a tape backed up, and verified, and tape ejected.

I can't launch Preroll Post any more. If I temporarily remove the three sqlite database files in /Library/Application Support/ImagineProducts/PrerollPost, then it launches instantly, but I can't see any of my tapes. If I put the drives back in, Preroll post refuses to launch. It bounces in the dock for a couple of times, and then nothing. The Force Quit window shows PreRollPost (not responding).

So I have three drives all backed up but I can't use PreRoll Post to retrieve anything.
I can use LTFS Manager in BRU-PE to mount the LTO tape and can see all data inside it. Can even use Finder to copy data from the LTO tape to my drive.

But PreRoll Post, not launching. I'm now wondering about the long term use of PreRoll Post for these kind of backups.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Kevin Francis
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:09:19 am

Hi Neil,

I know they are working on this very issue right now, dealing with large databases, and an updated version is forthcoming. I'll let Dan fill you in on the specifics. They are VERY responsive to customer input and issues.

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Nov 26, 2014 at 4:11:01 pm

Neil, We have a beta build that fixes the issue. Please send an email to support@imagineproducts and I'll send you the link & instructions. (Kevin's trying it now). Dan

Offload with Confidence...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]