FORUMS: list search recent posts

HighPoint RocketRAID and RocketStore

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Jones
HighPoint RocketRAID and RocketStore
on Nov 15, 2014 at 9:20:04 pm

I don't know if everyone saw this, but we announced that the HighPoint RocketRAID PCIe SAS RAID and RocketStore 6328 Thunderbolt to SAS RAID adapter are now fully compatible with tape drives under OS X (including Yosemite) and Linux (2.6 and 3.x kernels).

If you have an existing HighPoint 45xx or 27xx PCIe HBA, you can download new firmware and drivers that will make your existing HBA compatible with tape for use with all backup solutions and LTFS layers.

Users now have 2 fully supported solutions for tape connectivity on their Mac systems.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HighPoint RocketRAID and RocketStore
on Nov 17, 2014 at 3:02:43 pm

I saw this, and this is great news. I believe (and I could be wrong) that you posted here that the Areca card works with the MLogic MTape LTO drive (and I assume BRU software). Is this accurate information, or am I wrong ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Nov 17, 2014 at 4:04:06 pm

Hi Bob,

Yes, the Areca adapter used in the mTape is fixed for tape (driver and firmware). We still can't get Areca interested in doing this change for all of their PCIe HBAs though, so only ATTO and HighPoint are available for more general use.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 24, 2014 at 3:40:49 pm

If one uses the RocketStore 6328 TBolt to SAS RAID adapter with the 8-bay chassis shown on the Highpoint web site, then both SAS ports are used by the RAID box and one won't have a spare port for an LTO drive, right? In that case one will need two RocketStore 6328 boxes, one for the RAID and the other daisy chained for the LTO drive.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Nov 24, 2014 at 4:40:52 pm

Hi Neil,

That's correct.

A better answer may be the Sonnet Echo Express SEIIand add 2 of the 2722 HBAs. That keeps you down to one box on you desk and one Thunderbolt device in the device chain.

Either way works great, though.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:52:54 am

Let's see now...
2x 2722 = $560, Sonnet Echo Express SE II = $500
So total $1060. But both devices (RAID and LTO) have to always be at the same place.

2x Highpoint 6328 TBolt 2 to SAS $1400.
But you can use the 2 6328s together or in different places. So RAID and LTO can be together or separated.

Also, (as far as I remember asking them at NAB), the 6328 permits one to use eSATA devices (even H/W RAIDs) using a miniSAS-eSATA cable.

There may (or may not be) some speed advantage to having both SAS adapters separate rather than sharing PCIe bandwidth.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]