FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving newbie seeking media storage program

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Hodges
Archiving newbie seeking media storage program
on Oct 28, 2014 at 5:50:39 pm

Hey Creative Cow,

First time post, so here it goes. I work at a production company in Upstate NY, and we are looking to find a more efficient way of archiving our media for certain projects. We do a lot of work with a local University, and sharing footage between projects is key to many of these projects. However I am finding myself a bit overwhelmed at the options available out there, and figured I'd hit the forums to see what your opinions are.

One of the main things we are looking to have is the ability to tag a file, and then be able to search for that tag later. So if I had a file tagged "campus" all files with that tag would then be able to show up. I have been able to accomplish this using finder comments but I am concerned that as OS's update, these finder comments might fall through the wayside.

One more piece of info, we do have NeoFinder on one of our main workstations and I have been able to use that for simple location of files amongst various hard drives, but as far as I can tell there isn't a tagging capability, unless I have completely overlooked that feature.

So there is the scoop. Looking forward to the suggestions.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Archiving newbie seeking media storage program
on Oct 28, 2014 at 6:50:31 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Oct 28, 2014 at 6:52:51 pm

Budget will be the most important consideration to achieve your goal. There are solutions out there from single seats to entire campus access and each is priced as you could imagine.

The solutions also vary on your storage type needs - are you looking at disks, tapes, optical media, cloud? There are pluses and minuses for each type and some solutions combine media types to combine the best features of the different media types while reducing the potential weaknesses.

For example, our BRU solutions combined with DAX Broadcast Archive and CatDV allow you to utilize a combination of disk and tape (LTO or other) for a combination of access speed (disk) and long term viability (tape) while keeping your users in the relatively ubiquitous management interface of CatDV's desktop applications. All operations including ingest, cataloging, tagging, transcoding, archiving and restoring are performed within the CatDV desktop interface - your users don't need to learn anything about disk or tape storage and management. Prices range from $6,201US for a single LTO-6 drive in a single user configuration to basically the sky's the limit for petabytes of disk and tape storage and support for 25 or more users' simultaneous access.

The key to our solution is that it is all managed from within the CatDV environment. As I mentioned, your users don't need to become IT-savvy regarding disk and tape storage. They simply archive, purge (if desired), and retrieve right from within CatDV.

I'm sure that other solutions will be presented here as well.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Doug Hynes
Re: Archiving newbie seeking media storage program
on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:23:25 pm

Hi Jeff -

tagging functionality is available in our archiving solutions with or without integration with 3rd party asset management systems.

Feel free to give me a call and discuss. As Tim said, your budget may determine what solutions make most sense.

Best Regards,

Doug

Doug Hynes
StorageDNA, Inc.
http://www.storagedna.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]