FORUMS: list search recent posts

BRU archive won't restore

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geir Boelstad
BRU archive won't restore
on Oct 19, 2014 at 6:19:38 pm

I'm having trouble retrieving my archived data, as BRU keeps telling me I've inserted the wrong tape - even when I just made sure the inserted tape is correct by using the "identify tape" function.
To double-check the problem, I tried several different archive/tape-combinations, and they all tell me I've got the wrong tape.

Why does this happen?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: BRU archive won't restore
on Oct 19, 2014 at 7:48:07 pm

There are a number of reasons why the actual tape you've inserted and what BRU PE thinks is inserted can differ. My recommendation - as always - is to contact our support team on Monday. If you open a ticket at http://support.bru.com, the guys will see it first thing and get right back to you.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 31, 2014 at 1:20:41 pm

Did this get solved?

Could one solution be to take the tape to another system, import the archive and try restore there? And is there a quicker way to import an archive to a new system without the 'slow scan' method?

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Nov 15, 2014 at 6:57:20 pm

We uncovered the issue - it was related to an OS X update deleting some of our system files. Simply reinstalling BRU PE fixes the problem.

This is a new move by Apple to "clear" unauthorized applications from what they consider sensitive areas (/bin, /etc). We've never had issues with this before, but Apple's new restrictions are playing havoc with any tool provider that places contents into the holy locations (/bin, /sbin, /etc, /var).

Our next update removes the dependency on these locations.

To answer the "why do you put things there" question - BRU is quite often used for backing up far more than just media clips. Because of this, some of the BRU components are stored in locations on the system root drive to insure that recovery can be performed. We do it this way on over 24 Unix-based platforms and it has allowed systems that were otherwise fully corrupted to be recovered. Imagine if you needed to recover your Applications folder, but all of your Backup tool's components are lost in the corrupted Applications folder.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Geir Boelstad
on Nov 18, 2014 at 2:39:04 pm

Thank's for your reply. Keep up the good work!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]