FORUMS: list search recent posts

Large Archives to Bluray, Is it possible?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Handley
Large Archives to Bluray, Is it possible?
on Oct 8, 2011 at 2:29:23 pm

We like to remove our projects from the system for archiving a month after completion for archiving.

A typical project is about 100GB(all H264 files). Is there any type of compression software to fit this type of project onto a Single or Dual layer Bluray?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
Re: Large Archives to Bluray, Is it possible?
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:04:04 pm

Don't do it. Trust me. When Blu-ray first came out we thought it was the perfect archival solution and put a ton of media on a bunch of disks. It is WAY too slow to be practical. Any time we've had to restore stuff it has been too time consuming. I'd look at either hard disks (which we went to after Blu-ray) or LTO-5, which we're likely to go to next.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Nov 1, 2011 at 7:09:08 pm

We did this. Blu-ray prices are higher per GB than hard drives but I "feel" like they'll fail less.

You can use Roxio burning software which makes DATA discs and spans multiple discs. It will label them "disc 1, disc 2, etc." It's really efficient. We archive on blu-ray disc with a simple word document.

We write on the discs using sharpies "Project name and number XXX, Date, subject" we also write this on the folders too.

Return to posts index

rick wilson
on Jul 11, 2012 at 11:46:20 pm

I saw this and thought i'd add my two cents. maybe its too late, maybe not. REWIND is a great app for PC and for Mac that lets you archive to Blu-ray. You can use 25GB or 50GB discs and it will just span them for all your files that make up the project.

Blu-ray is great for archiving when its done with the right software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]