FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving to LTO newbie questions

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Scaffidi
Archiving to LTO newbie questions
on Oct 7, 2014 at 9:36:49 pm

Previously been shooting to Panasonic AVC-Intra100 mostly, and now just starting to migrate to RED Raw and possibly other raw 4k+ formats. I estimate that we'll be shooting about 6TB in the next 6 months, plus I'd like to backup all our previous projects that are sitting on hard drives. My questions is -- am I OK to buy an LTO4 deck since it's a bit more cost effective for a small company? Or should I go with LTO6 to have an up-to-date starting point? Thanks for any advice

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Archiving to LTO newbie questions
on Oct 7, 2014 at 10:56:43 pm

The LTO-4 solution will save a bit up front, but for 6TB plus your existing content, you'll eat up the savings in tape before you're done.

If the LTO-6 is out of range, you could split the difference and go for the LTO-5. The LTO-5 tapes are around the same price per tape as LTO-4, but you store almost 2x as much per tape. Also, the performance is a bonus since LTO-4 will run around 100MB/sec and LTO-5 gets you to 140MB/sec.

If you can stretch to LTO-6, you'll see another capacity boost - 2.5TB/tape - and a speed jump to 160MB/sec.

regardless of which you choose, BRU solutions support all three drive types (unlike those LTFS-only solutions that can't support LTO-4).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Archiving to LTO newbie questions
on Oct 8, 2014 at 10:10:45 pm

Per - if you do decide to go with an LTO-4 solution in the near-term, we have very aggressive pricing on LTO-4 packages starting at $2,699 that include everything that you need to connect to your system. Check them out at:

TOLIS Group ArGestĀ® BRU PE Tape/Disk Bundles

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]