FORUMS: list search recent posts

PreRoll Post

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
PreRoll Post
on Aug 28, 2014 at 12:16:46 pm

I came across Larry Jordan's review of PreRoll Post and wondered if anyone here as looked into, or had comments on this product.

Kevin

http://www.larryjordan.biz/product-review-preroll-post-from-imagine-product...

Return to posts index

Kevin Francis
Re: PreRoll Post
on Aug 28, 2014 at 2:50:32 pm

There is quite a bit of discussion about PreRollPost in this forum. I posted this user review a little over a year ago:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/330/857

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Aug 29, 2014 at 4:57:04 pm

Kevin,

We have quite a few users of this software now. It's matured a lot over the last 3-years. Some of the more recent additions is the (obvious)support for the new mTape LTO drives. PreRollPost installer has all the drivers needed to get up and running in just a click, regardless of your tape manufacturer.

Many users of PreRollPost are supplying video to Discovery Channel and need an easy, certified way to create LTFS tapes that meet their specs.

There's a free demo you may try, even if you don't yet have an LTO deck. And of course several tutorial videos available to help you get familiar with it quickly.

BTW, I'm pretty sure mLogic has plans for more reviews of the mTape & PreRollPost together. We and they will both be showing the two products together at IBC for those folks coming to the show.

Dan

Offload with Confidence...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 30, 2014 at 12:46:47 am

Hi Kevin -
so exactly what is your question ? Is PreRoll Post a wonderful product ? YES IT IS. Is it worth buying, instead of the free HP StorOpen ? YES IT IS. Is it better than BRU ? That is a stupid question - they are different products. Both are wonderful.

Do I love the MLogic MTape - yes I do.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Sep 1, 2014 at 8:13:26 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Is it better than BRU ? That is a stupid question"

Well then, glad I didn't ask that question.

I'm about to fall off the fence I've been sitting on for some time and finally acquire an LTO based archive system.

I'm glad to hear you like MLogic's drive, since that's what I plan on purchasing now that I've upgraded to an expansion-card-free Mac Pro Tube.

I was going to go with BRU software, based on what little knowledge I have. I came across PreRoll Post and was just wondering there might be a reason why I'd pick PreRoll over BRU.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2014 at 9:00:18 pm

both are great companies. I use both, depending on client demands. PreRoll Post does NOT support tape libraries (only single tapes), so if you need library function, it's a no brainer - you choose Tolis BRU.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 4, 2014 at 10:42:08 pm

[Bob Zelin] "PreRoll Post does NOT support tape libraries (only single tapes), so if you need library function, it's a no brainer - you choose Tolis BRU. "

Hi Bob, I know this is a dumb question, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that PreRoll Post won't span between two tapes? What exactly is the "library function"?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 6, 2014 at 8:38:30 pm

A library houses multiple tapes - from 8 to 1,000's. For software to properly use the multiple tape capabilities automatically, it must be written to use the automation capabilities.

With all BRU products, you can use 1 tape to 1,000's of tapes as a single archive with completely automated spanning of the tapes. With LTFS-based solutions, the user (or the software) must manually split the data to be written to tape into tape-sized chunks (either 1.4TB or 2.3TB) before it's written. If you try to write more than the adjusted tape capacity to an LTFS volume, you'll get the same error that you get when you try to write more to a disk than will fit - "No space left on device".

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Dan Montgomery
on Sep 27, 2014 at 5:31:00 pm

Actually, PreRollPost is 'video aware' so we intelligently split data between tapes such that each is self-contained. In other words, to retrieve a video volume or project never depends upon more than one tape. The contents of each stands alone (a much safer scheme IMHO).

And PreRollPost does not say "sorry, not enough space"--it simply prompts for another tape to complete the backup if it exceeds the capacity of the mounted tape.

Imagine Products had worked with auto-loaders in the past, it's not magic. Just hasn't been a priority for us yet with this software line.

Offload with Confidence...

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 6, 2014 at 8:33:20 pm

Not yet - Areca only fixed things for the embedded TB to SAS adapter used in the mLogic mTape unit. We are still trying to get them to extend the code changes to the entire line. It involves both a driver change and new firmware for the HBAs.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Ajit Nair
on Jul 19, 2016 at 12:25:03 pm

Not only that PreRoll Post writes on Open LTFS & Tolis Bru writes it own proprietary.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 4, 2014 at 9:20:23 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Sep 4, 2014 at 10:32:09 pm

Just to add a bit of compatibility input here - BRU PE and BRU Server both properly support and recognize the mLogic mTape units. In fact, it was our work with mLogic and Areca that enabled the unit to properly handle tape block sizes over 64K.

We are also compatible with the 1 Beyond unit as it uses the ATTO Thunderbolt to SAS bridge.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 6, 2014 at 4:43:41 pm

Hi Tim -
you just said -
In fact, it was our work with mLogic and Areca that enabled the unit to properly handle tape block sizes over 64K.

So is Tolis supporting the Areca card now ?

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Sep 15, 2014 at 4:40:08 pm

I could have sworn that I answered this, but it seems to be missing form the thread.

Currently, the change is only for the Areca board in the mLogic mTape unit. We are trying to get Areca to apply the change across the board to all of their SAS HBAs, but they're not moving quickly on this.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]