FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bare Drive Archiving

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Moore
Bare Drive Archiving
on Aug 22, 2014 at 8:31:15 pm

Hello All,

I'm trying to work out a system for archiving about 40Tb of footage for a television show that I work on that won't cause as many headaches as LTO tapes or give our financial guy a heart attack. My proposal is to simply use a CRU-DataPort RTX110-3Q, and then purchasing 4Tb bare drives. Does anyone have any recommendations on reliable bare drives? I saw some fairly affordable ones from Seagate, but I've had problems with other drives from Seagate in the past and am reticent to try them again. Does anyone else out there archive their material with bare drives? Is this totally ill advised?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Bare Drive Archiving
on Aug 22, 2014 at 10:19:08 pm

Of course, this is an opinion, but I would really recommend LTO tape for this.

You think that your financial guy will have a heart attack over an LTO solution? Wait until they see the bill for replacing lost shots due to failed disk(s).

For 40 TB (that's 17 LTO6 tapes), your cost using our ArGest solution would be $4,499 for the hardware / software and $1,100 for tapes.

For 10 reasonably reliable WD Caviar Black 4TB disks, you're still looking at $2,400 + the long term overhead of spinning the drives up. And, a hard drive sitting on a shelf can refuse to spin up after 6+ months causing either data loss or $1,000's in recovery expense. On the other hand, an LTO-6 tape sitting on a shelf for 10's of years will still restore just fine.

If I was your finance guy, I'd be demanding LTO tape as the solution.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Chris Moore
Re: Bare Drive Archiving
on Aug 23, 2014 at 2:37:53 am

I know, I know. You're absolutely right. And thank you for confirming that LTO tapes would be the way to go, but the set up fee is a bit of a pain for us at this point. I guess I'm just going to have to keep nagging the producers for that and work with what they will buy me for the short term. But I will definitely bring up the cost of data recovery from a failed hard drive.

Cheers,
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]