FORUMS: list search recent posts

File format and codec for archiving

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Crausman
File format and codec for archiving
on Jun 12, 2014 at 8:03:36 pm

Hello,

I am about to undertake a large archiving project. My organization has an archive of several thousand video tapes (mostly Beta SP and DVCam). We will be digitizing these assets and then archiving them to LTO -5 tapes via Cache-A/CatDV.

My question to the collective is what file format and codec are people using? We are currently on a Mac platform and use Prores 422 QuickTime as our standard, but is that the best choice for the long term?

I know there is no completely future proof technology, but I can't be the only one struggling with this.

I look forward to reading what the others are doing.

Jamie Crausman

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: File format and codec for archiving
on Jun 12, 2014 at 8:45:03 pm

I can't speak for others, but the National Institutes for Health and the Library of Congress (and a number of Military film teams) are using lossless MJ2 (Motion JPEG 2000) wrapped in MXF-OP1a format.

Since MXF is a standard supported and promoted by SMPTE (among many others), it is a safe bet to expect the format to be supported for a very long time.

Another option would be to use PNG or TIFF single frame formats. These export formats save each frame as a separate PNG or TIFF file (like a DXF, but without the additional software support requirement). The result is far more files to manage on a "clip per folder" basis, but you can piece the project back together in almost any editing software on any platform.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Martin Greenwood
on Jun 13, 2014 at 9:50:42 am

Hi Jamie,

First I would say that choosing the archive format is equally as important as the codec.
Using LTFS on LTO5 or LTO6 will create an accessible archive allowing easy restore of selected clips.

Then regarding codec, use the same one that you can work with efficiently now. Changing to another may or may not ease access in the future, but it will certainly slow down your current workflow and also the archiving and future retrieval as it will involve transcoding.

In your case definitely use ProRes, whilst not a open standard there are open source decoders and encoders.
Also there has been a large increase recently in the number of third party cameras and other hardware that are creating ProRes which is the best way of prolonging a format.

In summary use your current working format and in the future as new LTO or other archive formats become available then review the situation. Ensure that your chosen codec is still your current post format and if not then whilst consolidating your material to a new archive, transcode to this new codec.
This way whilst preserving your assets indefinitely, you always have easy access to it for repurposing.

My company YoYotta creates workflow and archival software for the Mac, but having seen the rise and fall of many formats over the years I think this answer is valid for anyone on any platform.

Best,

Martin Greenwood
CTO
YoYotta.com

Return to posts index

Petteri Evilampi
on Jun 17, 2014 at 12:06:38 pm

My advice is to keep also the original tapes what ever codec you choose!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]