FORUMS: list search recent posts

restore DVCPro50 from Cache-A fails

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael gin
restore DVCPro50 from Cache-A fails
on May 30, 2014 at 10:45:02 pm

I have a FCP project from 2006 that was archived on a Cache-A unit. When I restored it, everything BUT the original DVCPro50 files worked.

The DVCPro50 files have no extension and will not play.

I have tried Media Salvage, MPEGStreamClip, VLC, QT Repair and several other tools.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: restore DVCPro50 from Cache-A fails
on Jun 2, 2014 at 10:24:30 pm

Have you tried selecting on of the DVCPro50 files, right clicking and selecting "Open With..." to se the proper app type? This worked for me for some older SDII (Sound Designer II) files.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

michael gin
on Jun 2, 2014 at 10:31:56 pm

Yes. I have tried that with the usual like VLC and MPEGStreamClip etc.

One thing that I see is if I go to the Cache-A system and look at it through the linux desktop linux thinks they are Quicktimes, so it seems like there might be something there. But linux doesn't have QT native so I haven't gotten far there.

Tried copying to a USB stick right on the machine and that still didn't work.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 3, 2014 at 4:37:28 am

It's possible that the file that you're trying to restore depended on a resource fork or special Finder info. If so, Cache-A's solution uses the Apple Double format and would have potentially included a file by the same name as your original file, but with a "._" prepended to it. For example:

My Film Clip A
._My Film Clip A

If that's the case, you may need to specify both files and restore them to a non-Mac (i.e. Windows or Linux) filesystem and them mount them on your Mac using the SMB/CIFS or NFS sharing protocol so that the Apple Double format will be recognized.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

michael gin
on Jun 4, 2014 at 9:57:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. At first I thought it was a solution because I saw some ._ files but it turns out they were being generated when I connected to the cache from a Mac.

Thanks for making the extra effort.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jun 9, 2014 at 5:03:05 pm

Have you gone back to Cache-A on this? Tom may be able to provide more specific insight...

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

michael gin
on Jun 9, 2014 at 6:19:13 pm

Yes, they tried to no avail.

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Jun 23, 2014 at 4:04:57 pm

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late response - I've been a bit busy here at Cache-A and not up on the Cow for a while.

Our support engineers recall a case like this at the beginning of the month - assuming that's the same one, we would be willing to continue working with you on this. Please reply to our last case email to ensure we have the right case and we'll try a few more things.

Just a note that we never see this kind of thing if the content was archived and restored with no errors - in such a case, the media was most likely in the same state when it was originally put onto tape.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
433 Park Point Drive #285
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]