FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tolis BRU-PE anyone?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Lyons
Tolis BRU-PE anyone?
on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:01:20 am

Is anyone using Tolis' BRU-PE? I am currently evaluating options for archival. I am curious if anyone has any reports from the trenches? Looks like a promising utility. Just curious.
thanks
jason

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Tolis BRU-PE anyone?
on Oct 6, 2011 at 3:30:22 pm

I use BRU PE. It works very well.

It's probably not as user-friendly as Cache-A, but all my BRU backups and restores have worked beautifully, and I sleep better at night with my work on LTO-5.

(2 copies of each LTO, that is. If you only have one copy of a piece of data, you are a quick accident or equipment failure away from having zero copies.)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Oct 6, 2011 at 3:43:42 pm

Thanks for the input Walter. Curious abour a couple of things based on your expience. Are you using LTFS or TAR format?

Less user friendly than CacheA doesnt sound very user friendly at all. I found CacheA's interface to be not very user friendly, sometimes clunky. Ideally I would like to have the flexibility of LTFS format and find a tool to catalog all of the contents on the Tape. BRU looks promising I just am not that familiar with it yet. So, do you find the software to be helpful when reviewing offline items you wish to restore?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 6, 2011 at 4:37:11 pm

[Jason Lyons] "Are you using LTFS or TAR format?"

BRU doesn't use tar. See the tar-BRU whitepaper [link] for more.

I am currently using the BRU format, though I would consider switching to LTFS.

[Jason Lyons] "Ideally I would like to have the flexibility of LTFS format and find a tool to catalog all of the contents on the Tape. BRU looks promising I just am not that familiar with it yet. So, do you find the software to be helpful when reviewing offline items you wish to restore?"

I generally archive and restore entire projects at a time; I don't search for individual elements. BRU has filename search, but cannot search or sort any other metadata that I am aware of.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Sara Axelsson
on May 14, 2012 at 11:28:44 am

Hi!

I'm having a archive problem with BRU PE and you, Walter, seem to know a deal about the program.

The thing is that I have a LTO5 tape that I'm tying to archive about 850GB to. The tape should take the whole archival for sure but instead BRU PE asks for an additional tape ! The tape was completely new so this is very strange. Are there some boxes I need to check? I have double-checked the tape in fact is LTO5 so the way I see it there must be some thing I need to do in the BRU PE program....

I apologize if this question interferes with the topic.

BR
Sara

We are using BRU PE Version 2.3.3 on a MAC OS X Server. Version 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 14, 2012 at 5:18:13 pm

Sara, you're right that this should be no problem. Are you certain the tape is blank? Can you try another tape?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on May 14, 2012 at 5:38:35 pm

Sara,
We have had pretty good success with our Tolis system and running BRU/PE. I have not run into the problem you have explained, wish I could be more helpful. So far when and if I run into such a hiccup I have found great success with contacting Tolis Support, those guys really know what's going on. Their number is 480-505-1814.

Oh and a belated thanks to Walter for sharing your thoughts and experiences prior to our purchase.

Hope this helps
Jason

Return to posts index

Sara Axelsson
on May 15, 2012 at 8:26:30 am

Yes I'm. I removed the plastic around it myself. Have you heard anything like this?

Return to posts index

Robbie Coblentz
on May 17, 2012 at 3:56:42 pm

Buffer setting can sometimes affect the efficiency or writing to tape. I'v head some archives that i thought would fit easily on a LTO 3, but need an additional tape because the way BRU slices the data up and feeds to the LTO. At least that's how it was roughly explained to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]