FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cloud Back Up

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James McKay
Cloud Back Up
on Apr 10, 2014 at 12:34:36 pm

Hi
This is my 1st post but have used the forums for lots of trouble shooting before, so thanks for the help in the past.

I have been looking into Cloud storage for long term back up of past projects. i.e final videos, project backup etc.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? What companies seem to be the best?

Thanks

James

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Cloud Back Up
on Apr 13, 2014 at 1:52:03 am

sign up for a free account like Google Drive or Drop Box. Try to upload a 2 Gig file. Now tell me how you are going to upload 16 Terabytes of media to the cloud. Simple answer - you are not going to.
Cloud is not used to back up your video media. Its used for client review and approval, with h.264 files.
Unless you are willing to spend the big bucks for a huge data pipe, we are all at the mercy, and will continue to be at the mercy, of the cable providers. You can buy the coolest products from Media Silo, Aspera, Signiant, etc, and unless you are willing to spend THE BIG BUCKS for a monthly huge pipe, the cloud will be useless to you for doing backup of your media.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Apr 23, 2014 at 8:42:09 pm

Yes - what Bob said :).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Apr 23, 2014 at 8:41:49 pm

How big is you're inet pipe? Also, what happens if you need something and your connection is down? What if you no longer wish to use their service - who gets your data?

While I'm a strong proponent for tape, I would use USB disk drives before the cloud for anything larger than a few MBs unless you have an OC-24 or better pipe.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]