BRU is frustrating me to no end
A few years ago, we purchased an LTO5 Ultrium drive that was bundled with BRU PE (2.x). We used it to archive to dozens of tapes. The archives were made, seemingly without issue.
We just went through the pain of re-catloging them after the computer BRU was installed on died. Now we are trying to archive some more tapes and BRU is not exactly being friendly about it.
I've tried to update to the latest version of the 2.x series (2.3.8). This is apparently done via some terminal commands to apply a patch to the 2.3.6 binary. While this is an extraordinarily ugly way of doing it, I'd be fine with this method if it worked. Instead, I get a completely broken 2.3.8 patched binary of BRU that pukes up various error messages about REALBasic plug-in licensing errors and other strange brokenness. I've followed the upgrade instructions to a T from the BRU download site and tried multiple times, but no dice. Example of the first error I receive after application launch after trying the update:
What's worse, I can't even find a change log to tell me whether the 2.3.8 update does anything useful for me. I've subscribed to and posted to the BRU PE mailing list but have received no responses for over a week.
So, here are my specific questions:
1. What issues does the BRU_PE_18.104.22.1687_GUI-Only update address? I can't find a change log anywhere on the site. I'd like to know if this update is worth the trouble (running OS X 10.8.5 with an HP Ultrium LTO 5 drive).
2. Anyone else seen this kind of error? If so, how did you resolve it? If not, any idea what I'm doing wrong?
3. Is there a patched 2.3.8 binary I can just download from somewhere instead typing in a series of terminal commands to apply the patch here?
PS--I know there is a 3.x upgrade, but I'm reluctant to put any more money into the product given the troubles I've had with it. I'm currently weighing my other options and liking the look of YoYotta so I may give that a demo run if I can't get BRU straightened out.
First, the 2.3.8 update was created for a no longer supported version of BRU PE so that it would run on Mountain Lion properly. That is truly the big difference between 2.3.6 and 2.3.8. Even though the 2.3 family tree is end of life'd and no longer supported directly, we at least tried to give existing 2.3 users a version that still worked on 10.8. Try and get that from Avid :) .
As to the corruption, support tells me that they have no support ticket about this from you (support.bru.com). If you had opened one when this happened, they would have provided the following info:
When this happens (a binary application corruption), it usually means that there is something wrong in the application binary bundle (OS X apps are far more than a simple single file) . The solution is to delete the application package and reinstall. This is true for ANY application that you install on OS X, not just BRU PE. In the case or BRU PE, simply delete the "BRU PE.app" bundle in your Applications folder, empty the trash, and then rerun those command line instructions by using copy and paste.
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!
Thanks for replying.
The part about deleting the existing BRU PE.app prior to the update commands was the part that escaped me.
So, if the instructions had been:
Then that would've avoided some frustration. :-)
Giving the 2.3.8 version a shot at writing some tapes. Fingers crossed.