FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to archive FCP projects including its Graphic files etc

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Britton
Best way to archive FCP projects including its Graphic files etc
on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:57:23 am

Hi Everyone,

I assume someone probably already asked this but I couldn't see anywhere so I thought I would.
I've recently finished editing a tutorial type set of 6 videos. The project is all contained in one folder, and then broken down inside into FCP, music, after effects, graphics, footage. All the footage was filmed on Canon 5d so their are all files. And I was only given the files.

Its all on an external hard drive. I don't want to delete it incase I need it again, but its taking too much space. I"m not really sure what the best protocol is or what I should do.

Please any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
Re: Best way to archive FCP projects including its Graphic files etc
on Sep 3, 2011 at 5:33:10 pm

Unless you have the volume (and Value) of work to justify a $5000 - $10,000 investment Cash~A LTO archive appliance then there is only one choice. Get some backup hard drives. They are cheap!

If you want to archive the project move all of your project/media files (media managed or not, your choice) to a small USB or Firewire drive. (we do this with 2TB SATAII drives) once everything is transferred, eject your main media drive to test and reconnect media files to the new drive. Once it is all there and working on the archive drive, save, and then copy that drive to ANOTHER identical drive. Now you have two complete copies to put on the shelf. Once you have these two copies and they both have a working copy of your project you are ready to delete the project off of your original media drive. Keep doing this for each project you finish until the 2 drives are near full... rinse and repeat. (not literally of course) just go out and get another pair of drives and keep going. Depending on your work volume you may want to keep a log in Excel of the drives and what is on them.

Good Luck

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]