FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice for project folder archival?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Griff Montgomery
Advice for project folder archival?
on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:06:46 pm

Hello all! I work for a state university and I've been given the task to organize our project archives. Right now, we have absolutely no organizational system whatsoever. We have 8 iMacs on 10.8.5, a Mac server (not sure what it's running), and 9 Pegasus R6 drives. Some archives are in two different folders on our server, while some files are backed up onto Western Digital 3.0 TB desktop external hard drives (using USB 2.0). Come February, we will be putting ALL of our archives onto a Pegasus R6 drive (and using additional drives for expansion).

Right now, I'm trying to do some organization of these files so I don't spend HOURS sifting through this mess in a month. We've switched folder structure/labeling three times since our department began in 2004, so some folders are simply titled "English 2008," but is actually a project for the English building's remodel groundbreaking in late 2007 (it's a disaster). More recent files are easier to organize... they used a "0182_59th_AVTS_Media_091410" labeling format. Granted, we can't go back and re-assign project numbers to these folders that are improperly named.

BASICALLY, here's what I'd ultimately like to do: we have all of the project folders (all 13 TB+ and 869 project folders with subfolder goodness) saved onto 1 (or more) Pegasus drives, which only needs to be accessible from one computer. On that one computer, we'd have a piece of software that allows me to load the folder names (and all of their subfolders and hierarchy) for quick reference. From there, we would be able to add notes of what the folders contain, such as certain types of b-roll, images, etc. (we frequently need b-roll of the campus, but since it's December we can't go get any because it's gross looking outside. We know we have some in our archives, but we don't know where it is because it's so poorly organized from the get-go). I know I'm going to have to manually go through and find, log, catalog, and organize all of these folders and annotate their contents, but is there a piece of software that will not only expedite this process, but also make future use and the locating of files easier and more streamlined? I know an excel spreadsheet will do what I want, but if there's software that could potentially be put on each computer so each user can search the database for particular annotations (like "bookstore" or "athletics" or "classroom"), I would be interested in that.

Besides that, what do you use for your archival? How do you stay organized? If you think my idea is terrible and I'm doing it all wrong, please tell me! Offer advice! Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Advice for project folder archival?
on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:30:20 pm

While I don't envy your position, I can recommend NeoFinder as a potential short-term fix. Take a look here:

NeoFinder Disk Cataloging and Management

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Griff Montgomery
on Jan 11, 2014 at 3:55:05 pm

Hey! Thanks for the response and the recommendation. It looks like this software fits the bill as to what we need to be doing (and relatively cheap for what we need). However, why do you say "short-term?" I flipped through their website and it looks like it offers the features I need, but also some things we could grow into as we continue to complete projects.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 13, 2014 at 4:56:10 pm

By short term, I was referring to the fact that many folks move up to a more dedicated option like CatDV or Axle.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]