FORUMS: list search recent posts

Permissions issues with Cache-A

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Duprey
Permissions issues with Cache-A
on Nov 20, 2013 at 9:59:27 pm

Tom, another question for you:

Usually, I hook up external drives to our Cache-A and archive directly to the tape from the drive. However, sometimes I'll use the Cache-A Share to temporarily 'park' items to be archived. For example, when we need to order more LTO tapes, I'll put items there until we get more in stock.

Deleting files from the Cache-A Share has never been an issue. I navigate to the device at the Finder level on my Mac Pro and delete.

However, last week, I needed to pull some items back from tape, I didn't have enough room on the RAID that's attached to my Mac Pro, so I put them on the Cache-A Share, and after clearing enough space, I moved them back onto my RAID.

However, when I try to delete these items from the Cache-A Share, I get permissions errors, and I can't delete anything. I get the message that 'I don't have access to some of the items'. This has only happened with the items that have been pulled from tape to the Cache-A share, and never with items that have been put there via Finder.

Any advice on how to delete these items from the Cache-A Share?

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Permissions issues with Cache-A
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:41:48 pm

Aaron,

There are a number of reasons you can end up with permissions problems on Cache-As. The simplest of which is that the user logged in at restore time was different than the user who archived the files, but there are other possible causes as well.

The easiest way to address this is to have the Cache-A erase the VTAPE on eject (if that is where you put the files), or simply use the System Tools page > Utilities tab > Clear Cache-A Share button, which will force remove everything on the share.

The most precision way to deal with the problem is from the command line - a complete set of instructions are available from the Tech Briefs located on our Support web page and linked to from here: Command line access to Cache-A Appliances

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
433 Park Point Drive #285
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Duprey
Re: Permissions issues with Cache-A
on Nov 21, 2013 at 3:20:20 pm

Thanks! Forgot about the Utilities tab. All set.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]