FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with footage shot on 5D using CineStyle Profile

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Peña
Working with footage shot on 5D using CineStyle Profile
on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:42:03 pm

I have a some questions regarding the workflow for properly processing footage shot on a 5D using the cinestyle picture profile.

1. When shooting with Cinestyle PP, what is the best codec to use when transcoding the original h.264 footage from the camera? I currently use ProRess 422

2. Does transcoding h.264 5D footage add a color profile to the footage, like rec709? I noticed a slight increase in contrast and saturation on the footage transcoded to ProRess422 from the original h.264 file.

3. Are there any other LUT files that are not as aggressive (add as much contrast and saturation) as the one supplied by Technicolor?

4. Do you always have to apply a LUT file to the footage BEFORE any color grading process begins.

Thank you

JC

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Working with footage shot on 5D using CineStyle Profile
on Dec 17, 2011 at 12:33:32 pm

[Juan Peña] "1. When shooting with Cinestyle PP, what is the best codec to use when transcoding the original h.264 footage from the camera? I currently use ProRess 422"

ProRes 422 is fine. Even ProRes LT would be more than decent. Consider that you transcode from a highly compressed interframe codec to a lossless intraframe codec. So no problem with that

[Juan Peña] "3. Are there any other LUT files that are not as aggressive (add as much contrast and saturation) as the one supplied by Technicolor?

4. Do you always have to apply a LUT file to the footage BEFORE any color grading process begins."

Well, a LUT is more or less the same as a gradation curve. You don't *have* to apply the LUT. The supplied LUT is a suggestion the developers make how the graded footage *could* look like.
You can grade the footage to your personal liking with any tool you want.
Of course it's a fast and easy way to shoot cinestyle and then apply the LUT to get good or even great looking footage.

In my current shot-film project I had to shoot in some very difficult lighting situations and with the cinestyle profile it turned out that for some shots I hardly have to grade at all.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Dec 18, 2011 at 12:20:51 pm

Hi Juan,
Note :Acquisition with Technicolor’s CineStyle will generate what appears to be a flat, de-saturated looking image. While this image may appear unappealing and undesirable, it is in fact an ideal starting point for post-production and color correction.
To properly color correct and/or view footage shot with Technicolor CineStyle we recommend utilizing a S-curve shaped look-up table (LUT) in your editing or color correction application. You may download such a LUT using the links provided.

Peter has obviously had some success with this plug-in, but,in my experience it appears to degrade the perfection of colour in Travel Documentary in particular, and you only mess around with the S Curve etc and there is no real advantage in that to get it back to what it was. it certainly is not as good as the Technicolor 35 mm Film of yesterday. Perhaps it is a matter of taste ? High definition video is just fine as it is out of the Canon 5D Mark II, see Canon's "Reverie" production ?http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/sample_videos/reverie.shtml

good luck

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 18, 2011 at 10:51:46 pm

[Bob Dix] "Peter has obviously had some success with this plug-in, but,in my experience it appears to degrade the perfection of colour in Travel Documentary in particular, and you only mess around with the S Curve etc and there is no real advantage in that to get it back to what it was. it certainly is not as good as the Technicolor 35 mm Film of yesterday. Perhaps it is a matter of taste ?"

In fact, I personally don't like the provided LUT too much for the same reasons Juan asked for different LUTs ("too aggressive")... So I start grading most of the time "from scratch" with "levels", "hue/saturation" and "curves"...

I totally agree, Bob, the Technicolor Cinestyle no way looks even close to the "old times 35mm celluloid films of yore" :) But it's not intended to emulate that look. It's a tool to get the most out of your pictures *in post*.
As you wrote, flat styles are most commonly used for post production work. The latitude of those cameras is limited and the very aggressive H.264 compression kills even more information. So, caturing a flat picture will give you more room in post for your creative choices in grading.

What I find, when working in difficult lighting situations, the Technicolor cinestyle in particular produces less noise in the shadows which leads to a clearer picture *after* grading.
Depending on what's the scenery, the footage needs more or less harsh grading to look good (or even great). Especially very dark pictures need just a tiny bit of tweaking.

Worked quite a lot with the cinestyle in the last couple of months and I quit using it for more documentary-style work. I even started using other picture styles that "grade in camera" like the Kodachrome style. IMHO one of the greatest looking styles available. Used it quite a lot for photography but started using it for video as well. Looks fantastic out-of camera but - and that's the downside - won't let you change too much in post...

Just my two cents

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Dec 19, 2011 at 2:56:06 am

I liked the two cents , Peter, I am ageing by the day, you have done more work using it, understand where you are coming from.... How is the snow ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:05:01 am

[Bob Dix] "How is the snow ?"

Today is the first day with a little bit of snow... A bit warm for the time of year. We got a christmas cactus instead of a christmas tree ;)

Cheers to Australia, hope to get there some day

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]