FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Lenses

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Wilhelmi
Canon Lenses
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:17:40 am

I'll soon be purchasing a 60D or 7D with the 18-135mm kit lens. I am looking to buy 1 additional lens to start out and was looking at the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. I think this lens would be nice with the macro for photos but am wondering if this lens would be useful for video as well. If not, what are some recommendations other then the 60mm preferably in the $400 range or so? Also wondering how the kit lens looks video-wise? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks
James

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Canon Lenses
on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:55:35 am

The 18-135 is ok, but you likely will end up getting others. My choices have been an 18mm - 55mm, a fisheye for odd ball locations, the macro you mention, though honestly I'd likely sell you mine because I never use it, and a 70 -300 which is a fabulous piece of glass, and when wedded with the 7D is environmentally sealed, which could be an issue depending on where you live.

Al

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:03:22 pm

It really depends on the type of videos you plan to shoot.

In general I prefer zoom lens' with constant apertures as opposed to the 18-135 you have. The best of the bunch IMHO is the 24-70 f2.8. If you plan to shoot interviews I'd look to the 50 f1.4 over the 60 f2.8.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

James Wilhelmi
on Dec 17, 2011 at 5:58:26 am

Al & Colin, thank you for the input.

Al - I will email you if I decide on the 60mm and maybe work something out.

Colin - Yes, interviews are what I had in mind for this lens(besides stills of course). Could you please explain why you would choose the 50 f1.4 over the 60 f2.8. The 24-70 looks very but out of my range right now.

Thanks Again!
James

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Dec 18, 2011 at 4:44:09 am

[James Wilhelmi] "Could you please explain why you would choose the 50 f1.4 over the 60 f2.8."

Couple reasons I would pick the 50mm 1.4 over the 60 2.8.

1. The 60 is an EF-S lens, the 50 is full frame. If you ever upgrade to a full frame body like a 5D, the 60mm EF-S lens will not work on it. Glass lasts much longer than a camera body. I always go for full frame glass so my lens' work on all bodies. I have known a few who have upgraded bodies leaving them stuck with a few K worth of EF-S lens' they can no longer use.

2. The 50 is faster. f1.4 will give you softer backgrounds on your interviews, and work better in lower light situations. f2.8 is great on a zoom lens, but I always look for faster lens' with primes. Also, most lens' aren't their sharpest when wide open. The 50 @ 2.8 will most likely be sharper than the 60 @ 2.8.

3. Even though it is only 10mm longer than the 50, with the 1.6x crop factor in mind, for my tastes the field of view of the 50 is better framed for interviews.

4. The 50 has an 8 blade aperture, the 60 is 7 blades. The bokeh of the 50 will be somewhat smoother/rounder.

Ultimately go with the lens that you feel will serve your needs best. For my needs the 50 f1.4 is the better lens (if I had the $$ I'd grab the 50mm f1.2L). If you plan on shooting insects or the like perhaps a proper macro lens would be the way to go. As I mentioned in my earlier post it really comes down to what you are going to be shooting.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

James Wilhelmi
on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:47:46 am

Colin

Once again thank you for your insight & opinions. You have a wealth of knowledge of these lenses! I think I will hold off buying the macro for now.

Thanks
James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]