FORUMS: list search recent posts

choosing prores to transcode 5D files in FCP

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Bech Gómez
choosing prores to transcode 5D files in FCP
on Dec 14, 2011 at 8:05:03 pm

Hello

I am editing a project in FCP , which is mainly shoot with a red camera, but also some fottage shoot with 5D

Now I heve to transcode the 5D files, what prores should I go for to get the best quality, color grading etc. prores 444, 422 hq or 422?

I the files are much bigger in all cases, why is this? is this some improvement over the original footage?

thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: choosing prores to transcode 5D files in FCP
on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:34:03 am

Most people suggest that ProRes 422 is fine for 5D footage as there is no real quality advantage to be gained from using 442HQ.
Certainly 4444 is overkill and there is absolutely no need to use that.

Having said that many people use the 442LT codec as this also gives excellent results.

I prefer 442 or sometimes I use HQ if I know I am going to grade however to be honest I have yet to notice any real difference in quality between the two. I have a good amount of fibre raid storage so the file sizes are usually not too much of an issue.

H264 is a compressed intraframe format designed to give a high quality image at a low bitrate. As such it is great for shooting and distribution but a very poor choice for editing.

In transcoding to a frame based codec like ProRes, ideal for editing, you are increasing the bitrate and using a less compressed format so the file size increases accordingly.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Dec 15, 2011 at 11:36:31 am

On this project , almost everything is shoot with a red one, and then a few shots with the 5D, can be this a factor to use 444 with the 5D footage to edit?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 16, 2011 at 2:41:03 am

Hi

You will not get better quality out of the 5D by using 4444 just much larger files however you may as well use 4444 as then you are working with everything being the same codec.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Dec 22, 2011 at 12:41:55 pm

Thanks!

but, if the project is going to be maniny shot on red, and then edited in prores 444, does the 5d footage have to be transcoded at 444 at some point? I am confused, with this, I guess it depends on the export,lest say the project can be show in theaters

I found using the media manager, could be a good solution, edit in h264, and then converto what i really want to prores. Delete unused media and then convert the rest to prores, does this make any diffrence to the log and transfer window process? The recompress media manager option miss the Eos movie option that appears in the preferences of log and transfer window, is this important?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]