FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking to buy

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Schiller
Looking to buy
on Dec 5, 2011 at 5:23:31 am

Colleagues

My daughter is looking to purchase a camera for use on her college film course. Having taken a look, the EOS cameras seem like the best choice for learning about film production.

She is looking at the 600D (T3i in the US I think). Apart from a robust build there does not seem to be any reason to buy a more expensive model (and before anyone says; sorry but she could not afford a full 35mm frame camera). The 60D has a better user interface but more so for photography, it seems, and not for video - remember she is a student on a tight budget. The 7D may be better yet again but lacking the swivel screen it actually seems less good for video use. So; given that you are all experienced experts, is there any big reason not to choose the 600D?

I have a couple of Zeiss prime zeiss lenses with a Contax fitting which I think would be good for her to use. I know you can get Chinese-built adapters for connecting these to Canon EOS cameras. Does anyone have experience of using this combination with the 600D/T3i?

Thanks in advance - like so often when I post I am off on a trip so I will probably not have a chance to respond again till I get back.

Richard Schiller

Working amateur

Panasonic Camcorder 1080p, Nikon SLR with video acquisition 720p, Sony Vegas editing software.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Looking to buy
on Dec 5, 2011 at 5:02:55 pm

I think the 60D is a great first camera for a student. I would also buy her a $100 Zoom recorder & a $100 LED light from lcd4video.com. Of course she also will need a tripod.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Richard Schiller
on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:44:49 am

Brent

Thanks for this instructuve reply. Very good point about the tripod - a pretty essential accessory. The audio recorder and light also make sense.

Richard Schiller

Working amateur

Panasonic Camcorder 1080p, Nikon SLR with video acquisition 720p, Sony Vegas editing software.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:24:20 pm

I have recently bought a T3i (600D) to start getting into DSLR video. (I've been in the business for thirty years and work with higher-end P2 cameras, etc.)

Apart from the build issue (just don't knock it around too much), it has the latest video features including a live histogram view which the 7D & 60D don't have.

Image quality is the same (same chip, same image processors). It produces great results. I've been using Nikon lenses with a Cinevate adapter and seems to work well. The Zeiss are great lenses and should work out well. The kit lens is not that good, but gives you something to work with.

Make sure you watch this video about cameras with your daughter:

Good luck - my four children have no interest in video - go figure!

Return to posts index

Richard Schiller
on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:04:25 am

Firstly Jeffrey - like the video; very funny

Glad to hear from someone who has used the camera with non-Canon lenses. That is reassuring to hear. I did not know about the histogram. It seems that while not the most robust option; in terms of features (for video) the T3i has the best of any Canon at the moment.

You know that it seems odd right now. My daughter had a whole bunch of college equipment at home over the weekend for a shoot. She was filming in the morning with her group and then afterwards we took a look in the shops at Canon DSLRs. She noticed that the DSLRs (essentially stills cameras with added video of course) had a better screen than the video camera she had just been using and a neat zoom (or is it magnify) function to help with fine focus. Your mentioning the histogram kind of adds to that sense that while some things are just not as good as a proper video camera (rolling shutter, the ergonomics for video, the lack of that second hole on the tripod mount) others are much better (depth of field, interchangeable lenses, the ergonomics of focussing [specifically], information like the histogram). It seems that we live in a changing world!

Richard Schiller

Working amateur

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]