FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence preset for canon 5D and to edit in FCP

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Bech Gómez
Sequence preset for canon 5D and to edit in FCP
on Nov 14, 2011 at 4:13:11 pm

Hi, I have a weeding video shoot with the canon 5D at 1920 x 1080 25 p, I am triying to make a dvd but the quelity result is far from the original. What is the secuance preset I should use to edit in FC? I am not familiar with this and dont knlw the best option. hdv 25p? H.264?

Is the H.264 preset in quicktime conversion de best output format fpr best quality?

I trid this codec when exporting and went to compressor and choose DVD HD best quelity, than I burned that in DVD SP and Roxio toast, in both cases i got very poor results, well the copy from dvd sp was not readbale by the dvd player. So I guess I am chossing the worng sequence format to edit in FCP

Best regards

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Sequence preset for canon 5D and to edit in FCP
on Nov 15, 2011 at 11:28:28 pm

IF you shoot 5D and want to edit in FCP then you must transcode the media to ProRes.

If you edit with the original H264 files you will have issues.

You need to download the Canon EOS Movie Plug in. You can find this on the 5D page of the Canon site under software Mac OSX (just search there as it does not appear under the specific OSX versions)

Then use log and transfer to import your clips - Use ProRes 422 - you dont really need HQ or 4444 as you gain no quliaty but you do increase your file sizes.
While doing this dont use your mac for anything else or the clips can be truncated. Set it running and go make coffee :)

DVD Studio Pro is confusing for HD DVDs - the HD function is not BluRay but an obsolete HD format, Ignore it, you cant really use it for anything other than standard def. Your mac also will not have a BluRay burner as standard unless you have replaced it or bought an external one.

Export an HD ProRes Quicktime once edited (use existing settings)

I would then use Compressor to make a good quality SD Quicktime to use in DVD Studio (from your HD master file) stick with ProRes for that or H264 but that will take a lot longer to transcode.
You can create an H264 for BluRay file in Compressor - its one of the templates. But you cant burn in in DVDSP
- I think Toast offers BluRay but you need a BluRay burner.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Nov 16, 2011 at 8:35:40 am

Thanks a lot , I did not know this, I am starting all over again then. I have the plug in, bit how is the log and transfer? I am triying to import the files from the bin in FCP but is opening the log and capture window whan I do that and thaen not alowing any operation. I cant´s drag the files into log and transfer etither

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:12:19 pm

I have use the plug in and now I have all the files in 422 and ready, but my main worry is the EDL thing. I am triying to open the edel i created with the first edit and I get an eeror saiying thet is not possible to open EDL, markers have been place where error occured. Can I solve this? I never tried an EDL operation before. Can I use the same original edit project with the new files trough this or any other way?

thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:24:14 pm

You need to go to file and the log and transfer.
Then using the icon on the right just above the media duration column slect preferences and change the target format next to Canon EOS Movie to ProRes 422

Then use the top left icon to add the location of your 5D files. The folder must be intact as shot.
You will then see your clips.
Add all or your selection to the queue, or just drag them to the lower window. Let this happen without using your mac or often the files are cut short.
The clips will be added to the project as they are created.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Francisco Bech Gómez
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:53:06 pm

Hi again, Since te EDL option was giving me errors, I coopied the edit original project in a new one, since the original files (not transcoded to pro res) were in a diffrent herd drive than the transcoded one, I turned off the HD and once the media is missind I have reconnect the media from the transcoded files, I believe the secuance preset still remins prores 422, and I got problem solved, is that right?

now, should I export in quick time conversion or just a quictime movie in 422? doing this should I mark self contained movie? In quick time conversion i get a medion quqlity setting in preress 422. When using the conversion, I see the current size is still 720 before i switch to prores and size 1920, this made suspicios is this whole process is not valid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]