FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is IS relevant for video?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Is IS relevant for video?
on Nov 5, 2011 at 10:22:58 pm

I've been evaluating various lenses for the Canon EOS cameras, and wonder whether image stabilization is a significant plus when using the cameras for videography.

Philip Bloom states that IS helps mitigate some of the negative aspects of DSLR video (moire, rolling shutter). I wonder whether others have observed this as well.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Is IS relevant for video?
on Nov 5, 2011 at 11:06:24 pm

Hi Bob,
I initially used the heavier EF L series lens and one without image stabilization, there was too much camera movement hand held.

I then went to the EF 28-135mm lens for virtually all work, it worked so well , a tripod is rarely used, even a Fish -eye Lens.

With careful handling there is no rolling shutter effects or moire in this lens, you may need to pan horizontally slowly or use the heavier EF 70-200mm f5.6 as it removes any "jelloo" in a quick horizontal pan.

I believe is is essential for professional work with the CANON 5D MARK II hand held. Have used two of these cameras for 3+years.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 5, 2011 at 11:46:16 pm

(Edited reply)

[Bob Dix] "I believe is is essential "

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. At first I thought you said "it" is essential -- I assume you mean that image stabilization is essential.

Are you referring to the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lens? I wasn't aware that there was a 70-200m f/5.6 lens.

How does the 70-200 remove the jello?

I'm interested in the whole issue of IS -- there are all sorts of different ways of doing IS (I've used steadying devices like the Ken-Lab gyro). I don't get the same visceral sense of IS from the Canon lenses, so it is hard for me to understand exactly what is happening here. Canon advertises its IS as having various "stops," i.e. if a still photographer requires 1/125th second to hold a given telephoto steady enough for sharpness, with an IS version he or she can shoot three stops slower, i.e. 1/15 second, and get the same sharpness. But I don't see how that translates to video.

Thanks and please bear with me - I'm trying to understand a new landscape here.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Nov 6, 2011 at 12:01:59 am

Hi Bob,

Yes, that was a typo, it is essential to take the camera movement out hand held."Are you referring to the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lens? YES I wasn't aware that there was a 70-200m f/5.6 lens.There is in Australia", although I have not got one, Canon Service tells me the stabilization built into that lens an L series Pro removes any pixel movement in horizontal panning ? I did have some pixel movement detected when editing with an underpowered computer, but, in the past two years there has been NO issue here.

With video at 1920 x 1080p @25fps PAL and a shutter speed set at say 1/50 sec you should get smooth video. With stills you can set the speed to suit the lens, with or with out IS, however,with video on a 46" Sony Bravia in HD you will see every 'imperfection',note with Canon's camcorders Canon HV 20 for instance , it mainly runs at 1/50 sec shutter @25 fps and has a very efficient optical image stablized lens.It is the weight of the lens that causes an issue when videoing.

Canon recommend not using high shutter speeds for video if it can be avoided, it may result in choppy clips.
Incidentally, using a MAC for editing H.264mov 1920 x 1080p clips from this Canon may cause editing issues in Final Cut Pro, my son who is Apple Mac uses iMovie.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]