FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom h4n Issue with 5D

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mario mattei
Zoom h4n Issue with 5D
on Oct 15, 2011 at 6:59:01 pm

I'm doing some run and gun stuff by myself---no crew or sound person. Sometimes rather than capture separate audio I need to quickly recored sound to the 5D.

I connect the h4n line out to the camera's mic in (it's an attenuating cable). There's a monitor tap on the cable, too. I'm getting a signal during stand by and recording. But that signal isn't making it to the 5D. My rec level in the zoom is 80 and the volume 55 (as was recommended). The 5D is set to manual audio and I've experimented with different levels there, but still no signal.

I know it's better to record separate audio and to do so straight into the h4n, but for the low profile documentary work I do in Turkey I just need this quick option some times. I've posted on three forums and no one has answered this question. But I've seen guys on youtube using this set up. That's how I knew to get the attenuating cable.

Please HELP!!! Many thanks...

Return to posts index

Alex Campbell
Re: Zoom h4n Issue with 5D
on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:30:53 pm

I use a splitter coming straight out of my zoom. I monitor one of the jacks and run the other through a headphone volume control into my 5D. This has worked incredibly well for me. I turn up the volume on the zoom to full and then set the 5D input to 5 clicks above the bottom. I then adjust the volume control on the cable until my meters are good.

Return to posts index

mario mattei
Re: Zoom h4n Issue with 5D
on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:57:09 am

That's it? That's what I"m doing (line out, with a monitoring jack, to mic-in on 5D) and I get no audio recored. I wonder if the cable is bad. I do hear audio in the monitoring jack (it's a y-cable). This is so strange that it doesn't work. I thought my 5d or zoom settings were wrong. But it sounds like the settings are for fine tuning the levels not for getting it to simply work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]