FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using 2 sets of lavs on a Canon T3i.

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Bromley-Davenport
Using 2 sets of lavs on a Canon T3i.
on Oct 13, 2011 at 6:37:28 pm

I have ordered two little signal boosting devices (Fiio E5) in order to use my two sets of Audio Technica Pro 88W R wireless units with the Rebel T3i. So that should reduce the somewhat hissy background noise I am experiencing when using one radio lav.

But now I want to either purchase, or have a special cable and mini 1/8th stereo plug made up, that will take the signal from each wireless receiver and route each mike to one leg of the camera's stereo input.

So this would be a "Y" arrangement, with each radio receiver feeding one side of the camera's stereo input.

Questions:

1. Had anyone done this?

2. Is there a ready made cable that I can buy off the shelf?

3. Are the two channels of audio on the Rebel 3ti "discreet" channels - that is to say, for instance, does the on-board compressor/AGC control both channels simultaneously or are they separate circuits.

Thanks so much for reading this convoluted description. Your help would be appreciated. Canon, naturally, have no idea what I'm talking about.

Best,

Harry.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Using 2 sets of lavs on a Canon T3i.
on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:13:26 pm

I have not tried this however I have used a t2i with various mics and Zoom recorders etc etc and a couple of things spring to mind.
While what you are proposing will work you may end up with some odd results.

The T3i has a single AGC that controls both channels. This is used to advantage where some adapters send a contant signal to one channel to "fool" the AGC into recording a more constant level on the other. So they are linked.

If you have 2 mics, one on each side of the stereo - the levels of 1 channel could be affected by the level of the other.
So if channel a gets loud channel b will go quieter by default.

That may produce some odd levels depending on when and how loud your contributors speak.

You can get a simple cheap splitter cable like this - sorry I am in the UK so its a UK site - must be 1000s of places you can pick one up.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/3.5mm-stereo-to-2-mono-splitter-43086

Are the outputs of the mic on a stereo or mono jack ? You will just need the relevant splitter. (The one in the example is 2 mono to stereo.)

Also the FIIO is a headphone amp - will the output of the mic system be enough to drive that ? - couldnt see any impedence or level data on the 88W so that may or may not be a problem.

Anyway just a couple of thoughts

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
Re: Using 2 sets of lavs on a Canon T3i.
on Oct 14, 2011 at 6:09:27 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and advice.

Best wishes,

Harry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]