FORUMS: list search recent posts

reducing noise from 5D in post

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Bech Gómez
reducing noise from 5D in post
on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:21:54 pm

Hello, I was recently shooting with a Canon 5D in the dressing rooms of a concert, I am doing a documentary about some musicians. These images have some noise because of low light, I am very worried with trhis. I am new to video shooting and I would like to ask if is posible to reduce this noise in postproduction, what would be the best software and technique for this.

Thanks a lot

cheers

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: reducing noise from 5D in post
on Oct 11, 2011 at 1:16:00 am

Possible in post production, but, set 5D mark II on Auto ISO 6400 , the limit could be extended especially for stills, but shoot video at Tv setting at 1/50 or less, recently did video of jazz band in very low level light ( Check level on LCD , use an external stereo mike maybe a RODE. YOU SHOULD HAVE NO LIGHTING ISSUES WITH THIS CAMERA IN A DRESSING ROOM if you set the camera up properly? Ps. Do use a slow lens if possible. Focus manually.
There are plenty of Noise effects etc in Premiere Pro CS5.5.1 or other versions.
There are a large number of Video Effects > Adjustments,> brightness/contrast,> auto,> Highlights/Shadow particularly effective to automatically increase areas by 20% or adjust manually.
Even the top pros do not get it right all the time or are just lazy ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 11, 2011 at 5:07:58 pm

[Francisco Bech Gómez] " I would like to ask if is posible to reduce this noise in postproduction, what would be the best software and technique for this."

As Bob wrote, there are many noise reduction plugins out there. The two I know are: Neat-Video and the Magic-Bullet Denoiser. Both great plugins.
To avoid noise in low light situations, a fast lens (2.8 of faster) is a must. Also try to shoot with ISOs that are multiples of 160 (160, 320, 480, 640...). With all Canons these seem to be the "cleanest" settings"

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Oct 12, 2011 at 12:25:34 am

Yes, Peter,

A typo, should have been faster lens.

Regards

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:12:11 am

I wholeheartedly recommend Magic Bullet DeNoiser... I'm using it on a commercial I'm working on right now (shot on 7D) to clean up not only video noise but also artifacts from pushing darker images. Just make sure you add a small amount of film grain back in your finishing application of choice (I usually do an intensity and grain size of about .08) so that the image does not look artificially smooth. By the way, adding film grain also helps preserve gradients by fooling the compressor into not banding gradiated images to reduce filesize. You end up with a slightly larger file and way longer render/export times, but no banding artifacts.

Also, as an FYI for future shoots, I've found that shooting with a flat picture profile, in addition to allowing more latitude for color corrections, also produces less noise when shooting at higher ISOs. Finding out what ISOs are native to your camera is helpful also in determining an ISO that produces the least noise --- for example, with the 7D, ISO 160 is actually less noisy than ISO 100 because it is one of the camera's native ISOs.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:36:13 am

Interesting stuff Owen,

Regards

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>