FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinestyle colour shift when converting to ProRes

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vikash Autar
Cinestyle colour shift when converting to ProRes
on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:33:11 am

I am trying to convert my cinestyle footage to ProRes, but am running into an annoying problem. I use MPEG StreamClip and it seems that there occurs a gamma/contrast shift. I've put the two clips next to each other in Final Cut and it seems that the ProRes 422 HQ has a bit more contrast/gamma than the original file.

Is there anyway to convert the footage properly, without getting any shift in contrast or gamma?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Cinestyle colour shift when converting to ProRes
on Oct 16, 2011 at 8:28:11 pm

If it's CineStyle from Technicolor, I personally would not use it, as they say you start from a very neutral setting and the style should improve it in post, ie., from a Canon 5 D Mark II.

I stay at Landscape generic and it is nearly correct all the time for what we do.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Vikash Autar
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:24:26 am

This really doesn't answer my question. Does anyone have a correct answer for me?

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:49:38 pm

Sorry Vikash,

No, as I said it just did not work for me, I had real problems opening their zip files, but, their style settings seemed to degrade the image, and all you were doing was returning the very good Camera settings to normal?

All I can say is, good luck

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:32:45 pm

Hey your problem isnt with the technicolor profile. ProRes just sucks and many people have gamma shift issues. If your program supports avids dnxhd codec give that a try (no gamma problems) its a free download from avid. If your using final cut you will most likely just have to deal with it and correct it in post.

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:37:22 pm

Also prores automaticlly changes the gamma make sure to uncheck that box when transcoding. That helps alot but gamma problems still arise

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]