FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cards that will shoot video reliably on the 5d mk ii? Anyone used Lexar 233x 16gig?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Knight
Cards that will shoot video reliably on the 5d mk ii? Anyone used Lexar 233x 16gig?
on Sep 27, 2011 at 11:23:24 am

Hello all,
Just bought 2 SanDisk 16 gig Ultra II 30 Meg / sec cards, and shot hd video with them on the weekend.
Unfortunately, it seems both cards were producing the same error:
Quite regularly, after a couple of seconds of shooting, the buffer graphic on the screen would go to full, and the video would stop recording.
Tried another card and no problems.
Going to return them and get a couple of Lexar 233x 16 gig cards. Anyone used these for shooting hd video on the canon 5d mk ii, and if so... are they reliable?
Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Cards that will shoot video reliably on the 5d mk ii? Anyone used Lexar 233x 16gig?
on Sep 27, 2011 at 2:50:43 pm

I use the SandDisc Extreme. I think this is the one...I don't have my card handy to reference. I've never had any issues with these cards and I've been using them for 3 years now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646870-REG/SanDisk_SDCFX_032G_A61_32G...

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Alex Campbell
Re: Cards that will shoot video reliably on the 5d mk ii? Anyone used Lexar 233x 16gig?
on Sep 27, 2011 at 6:53:49 pm

I use the Transcend 133x cards. They are dirt cheap and are used widely. A 16gb is well under $50.

Return to posts index

Ben Knight
on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:44:06 pm

Wow, so the Transcend 133x are used a lot for HD video.... the SanDisk ultra II should be faster than those in theory, but they don't seem to work properly for vid. And you never get any freezes or buffer lock ups with the Transcends?

Return to posts index

Alex Campbell
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:18:13 pm

The Transcend are used a LOT in the HDSLR community. I have a few of them and have never had an issue with 5D footage.
As far as photography is concerned, the image buffer on the camera will fill up before the card slows down.
I highly recommend them. A quick google search will show you that they are very widely used and reliable.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 27, 2011 at 10:18:20 pm

Ditto Greg,
I have used 9x SanDisk Extreme IV 4.0 GB and Extreme 60mb/s 400x 8GB but, Ultra II may be a bit slow for video at 1920 x 1080p.

Best to set Canon 5D mark II at TV 1/60 sec and let it find own aperture for smooth running and only go to 1/125 tv if exposure not right.

Used the camera for 3-4 years all Firmware upgrades to 2.0.9 and had sensor cleaned once by Canon Service.

Overall performance with Image Stabilized Lens outstanding on stills and 1920 x 1080p H.264mov video. Mainly to Pro tape or Blur-Ray disc via Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 or Premiere Pro at least 25 productions, no problems. A i7 64 bit Quad Core with Nvidia Quadro Fx 3800 is a help.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Ben Knight
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:18:07 am

Hi Bob,
So you're saying in your experience those settings have caused less errors / freezes than other settings?
Good to know....

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:00:47 pm

Hi Ben,
I have never had a freeze although 3 years ago this model only ran @30 fps NTSC not PAL @ 25 fps which was was fixed by a FIRMWARE update from Canon (amazing technology). However, there were problems changing the speed to Broadcast PAL using Premiere Pro.

I recommend not using 24fps which is to Cinema Projection , Canon's recommendation is that the shutter speed is best set at 1/50 sec which is the normal speed for their camcorders. This or even slightly higher TV settings produce a very smooth video and eliminates any jellowing movement effect or pixel destabilization when panning too quickly.

We have 2 Canon EOS 5D Mark II producing broadcast quality video .

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]