FORUMS: list search recent posts

25fps Upper fields 50i or progressive?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
25fps Upper fields 50i or progressive?
on Sep 5, 2011 at 7:37:17 pm

Never got 5D or 7D footage that was 25FPS and randomly not using the fcp plugin to convert to ProRes but instead MpegStreamclip was used - i am grading now in color and just realized and noticed that the footage and fcp sequence says upper fields 1080 25fps - shouldn't this be progressive?

I was thinking to just re-import the footage and replace in fcp and resend to color using the canon fcp plugin to convert the raw h.264's into proper 25fps 1080 no fields progressive footage.

Anyone have advice or suggestions? I think streamclip might have made it upper fields? Or am i wrong that the canon can shoot 1080 50i??

please any help would be great
thank you

MacPro 4,1 OSX 10.6.8 / FCS3 / CS5
2.26 ghz 8-core / 24GB RAM
Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: 25fps Upper fields 50i or progressive?
on Sep 5, 2011 at 7:56:01 pm

Not sure if it has anything to do with that, but did you uncheck the "interlaced scaling" checkbox in MpegStreamclip before transcoding?

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:22:09 pm

not sure i did not actually do the trancode - i usally use the fcp plugin when i do it to get timecode but yeah the editor says he selected none but i guess maybe he forgot to uncheck that box?

DO you think its ok the idea i suggested of just adjusting my clips and the sequence to non will be ok? I dont believe i see any actual fields when i watch it down either as quicktime, fcp or on my calibrated dreamcolor monitor.

Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:19:51 pm

I was just thinking it might be easier to just command 9 for item properties on each clip in the timeline and change to none instead of upper and do the same for sequence settings since there are not actually fields from the mpegstremaclop ProRes transcodes I did.

Also because of that there is no timecode so that might make reconnecting media problematic as well since the fcp plugin adds timecode to clips of course.

Does this seem ok to you guys?

thank you

Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:28:00 pm

how about i just re-transcode in streamclip un check the scaling option you mentioned and reconnect to those files and then change my sequence setting to none? i notice it only lets you choose upper or lower not non but i guess you are saying once you uncheck interlace scaling its ignored and shows up at none in fcp?

Nvidia GT 120/285 combo

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Sep 5, 2011 at 9:17:37 pm

Well, I *think* if you don't see fields, there are no fields... At least, if you check your footage with a player like VLC with deinterlacing turned off.

I'm not familiar enough with FCP to answer FCP related questions or saying anything about, how FCP deals with interlaced or progressive footage, since I'm working on windows.

What you wrote about changing property settings sounds right... At least that's what I would do in After Effects or Premiere, if I'm sure the footage is actually progressive. But as I wrote: I'm not familiar enough with FCP...

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]