FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on DSLR videoagraphy, camera and studio set ups (indoor green screen and out door)

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Levi
Need advice on DSLR videoagraphy, camera and studio set ups (indoor green screen and out door)
on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:32:37 pm

CAMERA: , I have been looking into a Canon 60D for shooting DSLR videos, unless anyone here can suggest a better DSLR camera for ? or mention the range above and below.

Lens , I have pondered on which lens to get, so far with the 60D, its going to be my first DSLR and i plan to learn allot from it, im going to shoot allot of green screen, open fields, so to me it seems the 18-200 lens offers some wide yet versatile possibilities., again if anyone can suggest a more versatile lens please do.

tripod I am clueless on which tripod i should get.

Lights, I have been looking for a soft continues light set up on ebay, cheapest i can get since i will only shoot green screen indoors, i have green-screen mo-slin sheets already and paint for chroma keying.

What else should i add to this set up (light test meters, vivid lens etc)

The space i have to shoot is about 12x12x12x11feet tall, i already tried shooting with those horrible garage holigan lights, way too yellowish.

I am basically asking which camera, lens, light set up out there looks best and is most versatile for the price, if there is better then the 60D please do mention it and why.

Thanks
J

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need advice on DSLR videoagraphy, camera and studio set ups (indoor green screen and out door)
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:08:39 pm

Actually, a DSLR isn't really a good choice for chroma keying. Sorry.

The reason: the video is recorded at the lousy 4:2:0 color resolution. Think of the TV picture as having a black & white-only layer overlaid by a color information layer.

In the very best color color resolution, 4:4:4, there is one B&W pixel for every piece of B&W information. That's the first four. There is also one color pixel for every piece of color information. That's the second two fours.

However, 4:2:0 is different. There is one B&W pixel for every piece of B&W information as before, represented by the first four. But there is only ONE pixel for every FOUR pieces of color information, represented by the 2:0 part. That means the color pixels have to be bigger to cover the whole screen, which makes the color pixels blockier.

It's good enough to fool the human eye, but that color blockiness is really noticeable to a computer, especially at the edges of a subject. And what's the number one issue when chroma keying? Getting nice, clean edges on the subject.

Can you do anything to fix the edges before you key? Not really. It's recorded that way, and the damage has already been done.

This doesn't mean you CAN'T pull a chroma key with DSLR footage, it means you can't expect to pull a really good-looking chroma key. If that issue isn't too important in your projects, I say knock yourself out and shoot DSLR.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
Re: Need advice on DSLR videoagraphy, camera and studio set ups (indoor green screen and out door)
on Aug 31, 2011 at 8:28:43 pm

thanks for your help

i got a light kit, green screen stand and all ready to go

your saying its better to shoot video instead of with a Canon 5d Markii or 60D with a super zoom lens?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 31, 2011 at 8:52:57 pm

It depends on the video camera.

DV? NO!!! Don't key with it.
HDV? Just as bad as DSLR video for Chroma keying.
A Panasonic camera like the AF 100, HMC 150, HVX 200, HPX 170 or HPX 500? Much better, but you get what you pay for.

And your budget may not allow you to get them. So pick your poison.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:44:42 am

A Canon 5dMKii fanatic (says) with a 18-200 lens can do the job better then video cams in the same price range, but that's his opinion and since you technically nailed it i wanted to ask you if blue screen makes a difference with the camera?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 1, 2011 at 2:04:25 pm

Blue screen or green screen, it still doesn't make a difference: DSLR 4-2-0 chroma keys aren't great. If you need a versatile camera, stick with the DSLR and put up with less-than-perfect chroma keys.

If you'll do chroma keys all the time with not much need for anything else, a good inexpensive choice would be a Panasonic HVX 200 or its P2-card-only successor, the HPX 170.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:03:55 pm

enjoying my europeen vacation here, nice sunset today, you seem like the right person to ask about this, networks and all, what you think was used on this video?

looks like a Video Camera, but older, 2ccd i bet, hi 8, im guessing.

Return to posts index

shur harewood
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:05:40 am

I would suggest either buying or hiring a reflecmedia setup see video here

and article link http://unitedbyphotography.com/ubp/844/dslr-green-screen/

Shur

United By Photography

http://www.unitedbyphotography.com

Freelance HD and DSLR camera producer and trainer.
Enjoying the fruits and passion of living life to the full.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]