FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moire and Alias issues Canon 5D video

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrea geyer
Moire and Alias issues Canon 5D video
on Aug 11, 2011 at 11:37:18 am

Footage from a current video project shot indoors in a set with two different Canon 5Ds is suffering from major moire and aliasing. Both Cameras have the same problem.(using different lenses)

The moire is in stacks of newspapers on a table, on edges of furniture, in the hair and —the thing that is most frustrating— on the mono colored, non shiny cloths of the actress. It seems the weave of the cloth is creating the moire here??? has anyone seen this before?

I put a small clip on vimeo http://vimeo.com/27562069
password is comrades

Any ideas how to prevent this from happening? We are shooting again next weekend and any in camera tips are very welcome.

Also if anyone has post production suggestions beyond blurring (I did output the material in different formats already which lowers the intensity (like in the Vimeo) but does not change it much.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chris Gallimore
Re: Moire and Alias issues Canon 5D video
on Aug 27, 2011 at 12:49:49 pm

Looks to me that you're only suffering in the color channels?

I sort that in AE.
Create an adjustment layer,
apply a channel combiner effect > set to: RGB - YUV
Apply a channel blur
finally a second channel combiner > set to: YUV - RGB

Footage will now look the same but you can blur the red, green and blue channels which will remove most of the moire without really effecting the image too much. You may lose a bit of saturation but you can add that back in, however, I've never bothered as it's negligible.

I'm yet to come across a method of reducing non-colored moire (I'm not even sure if it's called that). One thing I would say is that I've only had a big problem with it on 720p footage. I assume because there's even more line skipping.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]