FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I of 5D H.264 to ProRes?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kew Lynne
Should I of 5D H.264 to ProRes?
on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:48:04 pm

Hello,
I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and I have some footage shot on Canon 5D Mark II. Premiere can edit the H.264 footage without having to render on every edit I make.

Should I convert it to ProRes 422 anyway through a mac? This question arose when I heard that it is better to do compositing and colour grading on transcoded ProRes 422 footage even though there is no increase of quality.

Can any experts here verify please?
Cheers!
Kew

http://www.youtube.com/user/chromaticonions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Should I of 5D H.264 to ProRes?
on Aug 11, 2011 at 3:34:09 pm

[Kew Lynne] "...I heard that it is better to do compositing and colour grading on transcoded ProRes 422 footage even though there is no increase of quality. Can any experts here verify please?"

Without knowing your platform, OS and proposed workflow, it's going to be difficult to give you a straight answer. For example, if you're on a Mac, do you want to work in Color, even though you cut in Premiere?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kew Lynne
on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:18:53 pm

Good morning Dave.

I work on Windows 7 PC, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects mainly.
I often need to give finished vfx shots to people on FCP though, but only when everything is done on After Effects. Does the answer differ from the platform I am working on?

Thanks!!
Kew

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 11, 2011 at 5:44:14 pm

[Kew Lynne] " Does the answer differ from the platform I am working on?"

The platform makes a BIG difference. Windows machines can't write to ProRes, for one thing. That's a little problematic for you, no?

You shouldn't have to convert anything when you work Windows-only.

For an FCP-Windows-FCP trip, it's a little different. You should also get Quicktime Pro for Windows, version 7.x... the latest version of QT 7, whatever it is. Best 35 bucks you'll spend for quite a few months. Avoid QT X like the plague. You'll then be able to read ProRes HQ & LT, but not write to these codecs.

I cut on FCP at work, and run AE on a Windows box at home. When I bring work home, I export to ProRes HQ, edo my AE voodoo, and render PNG IMAGE SEQUENCES. It's a lossless round trip, and it's no problem for FCP users to open image sequences in QT Pro and export in the codec of their choice. Todd Kopriva, the guy in charge of After Effects customer service, for Adobe, does the exact same thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kew Lynne
on Aug 11, 2011 at 6:40:47 pm

Hi Dave,
This workflow sounds excellent. I noticed in AE we can export to .mov container in PNG codec, is that the same as a PNG image sequence?
Someone suggested JPEG2000 in .mov container as well, do you have any comments?

Kew

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:07:15 pm

[Kew Lynne] "I noticed in AE we can export to .mov container in PNG codec, is that the same as a PNG image sequence?"

No, but the file sizes will be slightly smaller and like a PNG image sequence, it will be both lossless and support alpha channels.

[Kew Lynne] "Someone suggested JPEG2000 in .mov container as well..."

Unless otherwise directed by your FCP folks, I'd stick with PNG. It's won't hurt to discuss it with them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kew Lynne
on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:13:05 pm

Dave,
You are brilliant, thanks! I will definitely discuss it with FCP guys!
Kew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]