FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Convert 60p Footage from 600D to 24p Slow-Motion?

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Faisal Hashmi
How To Convert 60p Footage from 600D to 24p Slow-Motion?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:04:30 pm

Hey guys,

I have a major question here. I'm working on my next short film and wrapped shooting. I shot the first half of it with a Canon 5D Mark II on 24p because those scenes didn't need any slow-motion. But every single scene after that including the climax needed slow-motion and since 5D lacked 60p, I switched to 600D for the remainder of the film and shot in 6op framerate at 720p. Now these scenes don't have to be in ultra slow motion - just in that 80 percent slow-motion that you see some corporate videos and commercials in.

Now I'm facing major editing issues because the 24p footage is editing very well (I'm using Sony Vegas on my secondary Windows as well as Final Cut Pro X on Mac). But I'm facing confusion with the raw 60p footage. Basically, I want to convert it to 24p with minimal if at all loss of quality and then use THOSE files for editing instead of the others. Of course, it would do too much slow-motion in the output file (60percent or so), so I want to speed it up until the slow-motion is only 80percent to the original video.

What software combination can I use to do that? I have Adobe After Effects with Twixtor Pro as well, but don't have any idea how to begin. Did I do something wrong and mess up the entire thing?

Please guide this newbie to DSLR editing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How To Convert 60p Footage from 600D to 24p Slow-Motion?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 8:18:42 pm

You could conform the 59.94 footage to a multiple of 23.976, such as 47.952. Try it out. See how it works.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Faisal Hashmi
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:39:24 pm

Will the resulting film and final product still be a 24p product? That's key because the movie is aiming for festivals that only accept that format.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:52:23 pm

I don't know Vegas very well at all, but I think it accepts footage of differing frame rates in the same timeline. If you cut in a 23.976 Vegas timeline, it should only see the first frame of the 47.952 footage.

But don't take my word for it, be a real professional: RUN A TEST TO SEE IF THE CONCEPT IS CORRECT.

In situations like these, professionals know a technique like this will work before they shoot Frame #1 of a project, because they've run tests to prove to themselves it will work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Aug 4, 2011 at 7:44:12 pm

I'm not real good with Vegas, but you should first convert 60i footage to 60P if needed, THEN convert to 1080 from 720, then to 24P. It will be 40% of original speed. That's how I handle it, but my way may not be the best.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]