FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D overcrank looks horrible

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Kraemer
7D overcrank looks horrible
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:13:20 pm

So I have a batch of 7D over-cranked footage and it looks dreadful, there is a ton of chatter in any thing that has detail such as peoples eyes and any lines of contrast in the background. I have seen only a handful of similar over-cranked 7D before and it had similar issues... is this par for the course?

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: 7D overcrank looks horrible
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:56:36 pm

No, "this is not par for the course". Describe your process and maybe we can help you out.

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:16:17 pm

sure...

I'm not the shooter, and I didn't prep the footage, but it's my understanding that the footage was shot on the 7D shooting over-cranked and this windows the footage down to 1280x720, where as I am intercutting this footage with 5D sources shot 1920X1080. All footage was transcoded to ProRes422 using compressor first.

Footage looks soft and has very noticeable line jitter as described above. I can't speak more to the production process, just the post. What variables might I be looking to inquire about as far as the production end?

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:55:44 pm

OK, so your source footage for over-cranking is 1280x720 60fps (since you are talking over-cranking with the 7D, I am assuming you are talking 720p 60fps)

Your are matching this with 5D footage which is 1920x1280, but what is frame rate? Remember, you are working with two different resolutions and two different frame rates.

Then what are you settings in your editing in? What is the resolution, frame rate, and field order of your sequence? What program are you editing in?

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:03:59 pm

Cutting on FCP7. Shot at 25/50fps. Converted with cinema tools to 25 from 50, 5D is sourced at 25fps. Footage has the same issue regardless on what resolution timeline it is on. Monitoring from FCP in 1080/50i... but looking at sources in QT Pro reveals the same issue on progressive scan monitor.

Crawling lines on anything with bunched up detail or contrast, but also in anything with pattern, like gravel and areas like hair.

Wondering if the issue is working with PAL friendly resolutions?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:36:46 pm

You want to edit in a 25p Sequence. Thus your over-cranked footage will be slo-mo'd.
Don't convert the 5D stuff at all.
Drop a 5D clip into a new emty sequence and let FCP match it for you.
Then drop your over-cranked clips in there as well, after the fact. 50p footage slo'd to 25.
Done.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:51:59 pm

that is exactly what we are doing... only difference is the 7D 720p 50 fps footage is being converted in Cinema Tools to 25 fps instead of 50 fps... still plays as slo-mo.

I have seen this before on clips not converted to 25 from 50. The fact that it has this nasty look but irregardless of movement (not a field issue) and is on any fine lines makes me suspicious that it's something the camera is doing when it windows down on the sensor.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Jul 10, 2011 at 5:43:18 am

You are dealing with the overcrank correctly.. If you skipped Cinema Tools, FCP would butcher your slomo. (Instead of playing back each frame to playback at 25fps FCP throws half the frames away and blends the remaining.)

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on Jul 10, 2011 at 2:24:57 pm

Thank you, we of course suspected our workflow was sound. So this begs the question, what is up with the nasty lines of chatter and buzzing on areas of fine detail? Has anyone else seen this?

It's to the point that I'm almost recommending to my director to never shoot over-cranked with this camera. The only way to salvage a shot is to add vertical blur and the image is softer than standard speed footage to begin with so it's not really a solution.

I can't be the only one seeing this?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 10, 2011 at 4:02:50 pm

It's called chromatic aberration or moire.
You can avoid a lot of it by having those areas prone to it out of focus some.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]