FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor 7D

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis Wood
Monitor 7D
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:47:54 am

Hey I'm struggling to find some answers here. I'm shooting a project on a 7D, and I need to use an external monitor for director and continuity to look at. However I want the internal monitor on the 7D to continue to function when using the external monitor.

I've tested this out on a 5D using both the hdmi port and the composite port but have had no luck trying to get both monitors working at once.

Could anyone shed any light onto the matter?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Stevo Chang
Re: Monitor 7D
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:51:02 am

Hmm... Yeah, i think the moment u utilize the composite/HDMI port, it automatically shuts the onscreen monitors off...

If you need a 2-monitor solution, u could always get an HDMI splitter which splits the HDMI signal into 2 outputs - thus letting u attach a second monitor to the solution.

Unless... I can't remember WHERE i saw it, but someone rigged a video tap from their 5D's eyepiece which left the on-board monitor "on"... but it was a custom build, so I don't know where to purchase it...

Jag35 sells a pretty cheap HDMI-splitter - altho i've never personally used it:
http://jag35.com/index.php/hdmisplitter.html

If you need portable power, they also sell a portable battery pack for it, altho its AA and not lithium-ion:
http://jag35.com/index.php/hdmibattery.html

Hope this helps?

Director | Writer | DP | VFX Sup |
Aspiring Carpenter | Unintentional 1-man Crew

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Monitor 7D
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:14:35 pm

You cannot monitor and view the source from your. Camera. The hdmi cancels the signal. Keep the monitor close to the camera so you can see the monitor as well as the client and dierectie.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite