FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 60D High ISO noise filter

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Harris
Canon 60D High ISO noise filter
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:57:12 am

Sorry if this has already been posted, I searched and could not find the answer.

I know the canon 60D has the option for high ISO noise filtering in the manual camera mode, however, in video mode there is no option for it (unlike the 7D you cannot just flip one switch into video, you have to change it on the dial)

I just did some tests on my own and did not notice a difference in turning the filter on or off or on strong in the manual picture mode then switching back.

Does anybody know if the noise filter does anything for video on the 60D?

I want to find the best settings to use and i wanted to see how much sharpness I lose by using the filter (if it works)

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
Re: Canon 60D High ISO noise filter
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:47:43 pm

Hello Pat,
I shoot with 60D and haven't used this filter either, I have it disabled at the moment. I am sure sharpness will be lost, but how much remains to be seen. What lens are you using? By the way go to M on your dial then click MENU on the back. Then click orange ICON at top of screen. Go down to 2. IMAGE. Then click right side of set control to cycle to 2. This is HIGH ISO SPEED NOISE REDUCTION. You have several settings, but maybe one will be to your liking as far as not alot of sharpness lost.

Buddy

Return to posts index

Pat Harris
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:33:53 pm

Thanks,

My question was that since it is only on the M setting and not under the video settings does at actually apply? because all of the other major settings like highlight tone priority etc are in the video menus somewhere as well as the M settings. I did a not so great test and turned it on off and on standard and on strong and did not notice much of a difference on noise or sharpness...I guess i could do a test with the lens cap and noise to see if the filters work at all... just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

I have a canon 18-135 3.5-5.6 kit lens for now... i have a few old minolta prime lenses (from an old 35mm camera that was in the house) that i have an adapter for just to play around with fast lenses, but they aren't great. The camera doesn't read exposure correctly in video mode, probably because it is using live view and cannot connect with the lenses, because they are not digital... I eventually want to get the canon 50mm 1.4 USM and a sigma 30mm ( i think its 30, maybe 28) also a 1.4

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:50:20 pm

Shane Hurlbut has a video explaining the setup, and one line from it states this. If you are not on the M setting dial you do not have access to the FULL options of camera, even the ones for film. So yes it applies :).

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:52:36 pm

He is also using what I believe is 7D, I didn't look that close, but menu items are just moved around some. However he had to go to the M just the same to access full menu of items for film. My guess is those settings apply to both.

Return to posts index

Pat Harris
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:51:39 am

yeah he was using a 7D, so I am unsure if it is different than the 60D because you cannot shoot video on M on the 60D where as on the 7D you can.

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:10:45 pm

Its the same, they just moved the buttons around some. You are actually shooting movies manually when you set exposure to manual in menu. The menu just needs a software update so that the orange (settings for manual) are in both video and manual area.

Buddy C

Return to posts index

Pat Harris
on Jun 26, 2011 at 3:56:49 pm

Oh okay, Thanks a lot.

They def. need to update that, it's a pain to switch back to manual to switch setting... although i guess that most of the settings would be set in stone once you decide how you want to shoot.

Return to posts index

Zackery Morris
on Jul 11, 2014 at 4:19:24 pm

The filter won't really do much
That's only for lighting
You need some kind of video tripod to use or else
The video will come out very noisy which is common when you shoot a video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]