FORUMS: list search recent posts

shutter speed suggestions

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Carbonneau
shutter speed suggestions
on Jun 20, 2011 at 6:22:43 pm

hey guys, i'm looking for some shutter speed suggestions for a certain shot.... i want to capture a cityscape at night with a slower shutter to get headlight traces and then speed it up in post.... has anyone done this shot? if so, any suggestions... i'm new at playing with the shutter speeds and i want to up my game... thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Hughes
Re: shutter speed suggestions
on Jun 20, 2011 at 8:03:38 pm

Depending on how fast you intend to speed it up, you may want to take a series of photographs instead of shooting video.

To get a nice fluid look in video or film most go for 1/(2xfr rate) for shutter speed. So if you're going for shooting at 30fps you'd normally want 1/60th shutter speed. This is the 180 degree shutter rule, that the film is exposed for half of the time of the frame.

Thus, if you're going to try taking photos you could try taking perhaps a 5s shutter picture, waiting 5s, taking another one, and so on, and putting them into a project, giving each image one frame of time?

I'm sure there is a perfect mathematical solution but my mind is much too boggled to realise what it is!

Daniel Hughes
Amateur Writer, Director,
Director of Photography
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: shutter speed suggestions
on Jun 23, 2011 at 4:26:36 am

You want to do a time lapse photo shoot. You will need to purchase an intervolator. B & H has this for the canon cameras. Nikon cameras have it built in.

If you search for this you'll find a lot of tutorials on how to do this. You can use quicktime pro to put the photos together for that cool timelapse film.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite