FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having problem accessing exposure compensation

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
Having problem accessing exposure compensation
on Jun 10, 2011 at 1:41:45 am

The canon manual for a 5DMKII says that with the power switch set to the very most up position, and in LV menu settings, be sure to have "Movie Display" selected you should be able to rotate the back dial to get either - or + exposure compensation.

I've tried those settings and several other combinations and can't get exposure compensation to work. With "P" mode selected I have exposure compensation but have no control over shutter speed.

The camera settings are:
• shooting in "M"
• 320 ISO
• 60 fps
• LV settings Movie Display
• Power switch all the way up

How do I get access to this feature (exposure compensation)?

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID eSATA External, 4TB Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 21 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Having problem accessing exposure compensation
on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:26:07 am

It is clear as crystal in the manual, but, go to ON control on the back of the camera and move the indicator to the -line above , half press the fire camera button as if to take a photo>turn control wheel above ON/OFF switch > watch Exposure Indicator on LCD window above AF On Button and adjust to -1,-2 or +1, or +2 and return on/off switch to>on , the compensation should be in effect, do not forget to return to 0 when not needed, I have used exposure compensation for over 2.5 years and mainly leave it at -1 to remove overexposure of highlights in high contrast situations.

This works in all modes, I think ? ,but, I never use Full Automatic mostly Tv where I set the speed at 1/50 mainly for smooth running of the HD Video. If you get overexposure here you can change the speed with no issues.

Ps. You should experiment with Canon Digital Professional Software that came with the camera, it is superior to Adobe, which I have used for over 15 years. make sure you download all the up-dates from Canon for this including the updates for the Canon 5 D mark II which is now at 2.0.9 It is also worthwhile looking at Canon's Zoom Browzer which has amateur facilities for H.264mov files ?
My son is a MAC user but, finds iMovie is better than anything else when editing H.264 from the Canon 5D mark II

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Having problem accessing exposure compensation
on Jun 14, 2011 at 1:00:33 am

Check setting Exposure Compensation Page 96 especially (3) Set the power switch to <--> and while looking at the viewfinder or LCD, turn the Dial on the back of the camera.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]