FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple 1 day Documentary shot with 7D

COW Forums : Canon EOS DSLR

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Simple 1 day Documentary shot with 7D
on Jun 8, 2011 at 2:02:59 pm

Hi folks. Just finished up a short (13 minute) documentary on a day water sampling in the Puget Sound region. I was able to tag along for a one day shoot with my 7D, 10mm and 17 to 50mm Sigma lens, and an Audio Technica 897 shotgun mic. Edited with Sony Vegas 10.d. Learned alot about how the state protects us from eating bad shellfish. Had a nice day on the water. This was sponsored by the local Marine Resource Committee, which is a group of water related business people, politicians, environmentalists, fisheries, etc. that act as a advisory board to the local county commissioners. Lots of nice scenery in this as we travel the shoreline by boat. One thing worth noting technically, was that while the shotgun got great sound, the noise of the boat was a bit much, and required a filter. I applied the Vegas Audio Restoration noise floor to -40 db. Worked well, I think. Any thoughts, critique etc. welcome. This was *low budget* so the goal was just a run and gun day.

For your viewing pleasure.

Alf

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Simple 1 day Documentary shot with 7D
on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:44:47 pm

Use a tripod on your land based interviews. These cameras don't do well with any shakes. They give you the dreaded Jello Effect.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 8, 2011 at 4:59:39 pm

There is only one land based interview, and that's the opening sequence. I don't see it there. Am I missing it in plain site? Perhaps you are referring to the short interview on the boat later on, with Jule describing the outfall? I believe that was simple camera motion, as the boat was rocking and he was in motion too. I debated using that, but what he said was worth using, I felt. Was that the part you meant?

I agree that tripods are worth it. I do usually try to use a tripod, but it wasn't appropriate on the trip, given the boat size.

Alf

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 8, 2011 at 6:08:53 pm

He's referring to the first 1.5 minutes.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 8, 2011 at 6:16:13 pm

Odd, I can't see any jello when I watch the first 1.5 minutes. The camera isn't rock solid,it was hand held, but it doesn't seem to be exhibiting shutter roll. Am I just not seeing it? Or was it simply a recommendation so I wouldn't have it happen?

Alf

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 8, 2011 at 6:39:22 pm

Probably, simply a recommendation so I wouldn't have it happen.
But the shakyness of the handheld in general could be avoided, that's all.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 8, 2011 at 7:33:19 pm

Understood. I agree. Thanks.

Alf

Return to posts index

Michal Trzaska
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:44:19 am

I just piked up a monopod for my 7D and it works great when i can't bring the big boy

Michal Trzaska
Editor, Colorist, Director of Photography, VFX Artist and Motion Graphics Artist
MeHow Design
TV Commercials for your Google TV ads. Web Videos that get results

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]